Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 03:01 PM

Re: Cholestorol down a bit

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I've just got the latest results for my cholesterol.. Down from 7.1 to 6.2.
I didn't want to take statins, so I tried these Benecol drinks & spreads instead (other makes are available). These appear on offer from time to time and as I liked yoghurt, low fat spread etc.. the additional cost was minimal.

The Doc. congratulated me, but still says it's too high. That's the trouble here - too target and procedure driven.
Well done George, keep up the good work
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 05:37 PM

I didn't want to take statins, so I tried these Benecol drinks & spreads instead (other makes are available). These appear on offer from time to time and as I liked yoghurt, low fat spread etc.. the additional cost was minimal.

The Doc. congratulated me, but still says it's too high. That's the trouble here - too target and procedure driven.
Well done Grumblewagon I've started drinking those Benecol drinks as well.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 07:14 PM

But it's still going in the right direction Grumble - take no notice of the doctors, they're never satisfied unless we all become homogenous. You're doing the right thing and heading in the right direction, you should feel pleased and not focus on negativity. Well done to you
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 08:31 PM

Mine began at 7.9 and that was October 2008.
I've always been pretty careful with my diet because my Dad had high cholesterol and had a heart transplant in 1985.
My GP asked me if I wanted statins and when I said no he didn't press it at all. I said I'd try cutting out more food.
Last year, as nothing much was happening (it was still over 6) I tried simvastatin for 2 weeks and the side effects were dreadful. Then I started getting more exercise and it's now 5.4.
GP says I'm only at 10% risk of heart attack/stroke, so I'm happy with that for the moment.

Actually my cholesterol levels stayed at 6.7 - 7.1 until September 2012 when they whizzed down to 5.1.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 11:21 PM

I worked out that buying plant sterol capsules was far cheaper than the cholesterol lowering yoghurt drinks, so I did that for a while and then swapped to CoQ10.

I'm conducting an experiment.
That last reading was after Xmas and my lifestyle had lapsed a bit + I'd stopped the CoQ10 and plant sterols.

I will start again and see what difference, if any, it makes.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top