Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 09:07 PM

Re: Alcoholics to get liver transplants!

Quite profound Mark ! I think the moment they can stop pain we will be in trouble as humans will for a time stop wanting to die. It won't be long though IMO before people realise immortality isn't quite what they want.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 09:16 PM

I think the world would be very overcrowded if we were all immortal.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 09:29 PM

I think the worst punishment a man or woman could have is to live forever, to be honest I don't think anyone could go on for longer than 150 years at the most, despite all the medical advances, you would be bored to tears, everyone you knew is dead. even if you were made to still look young imagine having to go through all those silly crazes over and over again, not to mention answering the same questions to all the newcomers, you've read all the books and done all there is to be done, no I much prefer it as it is, go when your number is up and rest forever.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes my mum was like that the money the NHS wasted treating her for various problems could have been used for more deserving cases. Harsh I know but she drank to the end and never tried to help herself.
alcoholism is a disease classified under internationally recognized medical definitions and recognized all over the world although not necessarily treated the same. It is not just a medical condition but also a psychological one as has been pointed out here in a way by various personal family examples.

discarding 'alocoholics' for transplant option because they won't cooperate and keep drinking is controversial. they cannot give up not because of obstinacy but because of mental inability - they have a disease of the mind as well as the body and we often neglect to recognize this and try to treat the mind also . The same reasoning of course occurs with drug addiction - we discard people to easily IMO
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Makes me think of old age in general - or 'death' in fact. Imagine a time when it would be possible to abuse your body any which way you want, suffer from whatever even but without too much concern - why? Well, there will come a time when docs will be able to keep you alive indefinitely. Why then do people reach a certain age now and want to depart from this world? Are they bored? Lonely? If you took away the loneliness' then would people want to live forever? Can't see it myself as there comes a time when people have had enough where nothing is new or stimulating. Whatever is out there after death might be preferable to a living death - if you see what I mean.
a recent news items talks about " all those lonely peoples" - and points out that GP's are missing the syndrome of 'loneliness' - and that associated with this 'loneliness' was increased alcohol and tobacco use - imndividuals for whatever reason who have become alone in life. we have all heard the stories of the little old lady or man found dead in their lonely bedsitter and declared dead for several weeks with neigbours exclaiming 'i thought I hadn't seen her for a few days'

but it's not just the Gp's concern it beholds us all to make a slightly greater effort because WE are the next lonely pensioners who may need a friend or two. Yes some oldies do push us away - but for me that just means the effort should be greater not weaker.

and a different but associated point - oldies with whatever disease have been paying into the health system for much longer than youngies - their "accounts" are larger!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2014, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
alcoholism is a disease classified under internationally recognized medical definitions and recognized all over the world although not necessarily treated the same. It is not just a medical condition but also a psychological one as has been pointed out here in a way by various personal family examples.

discarding 'alocoholics' for transplant option because they won't cooperate and keep drinking is controversial. they cannot give up not because of obstinacy but because of mental inability - they have a disease of the mind as well as the body and we often neglect to recognize this and try to treat the mind also . The same reasoning of course occurs with drug addiction - we discard people to easily IMO
That is easier to say if you are not being parented by one I am afraid my sympathy is really with anyone living with an alcoholic.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2014, 07:41 AM

Shouldn't sympathy extend to All in a tragic situation?.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

05-04-2014, 07:44 AM

I had enough sympathy to look after my parents until their deaths quite enough I think. But now looking back what they put the family through and the things that were set on course by their actions since I find hard to forgive them for. I think you have to live the life to understand the emotions.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2014, 07:50 AM

Don't disagree, I'm probably guilty of allowing to much space for folks shortcomings.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

05-04-2014, 11:11 AM

I never mentioned sympathy - one certainly can give too much sympathy to those with drug addiction including alcoholism and giving sympathy is not advocated as part of any treatment regime - understanding is NOT th same as sympathy and all professional treating clinicians would not advocate it!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top