Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 11:23 AM

Re: Comedy shows

Things go round get re-hased and get churned out again in a different guise.

If you think about it there isnt much difference between an old freak show and the shows like embarrising bodies or the big brother house or the valleys... we sit around laughing at other peoples problems be they physcial , social or in some cases mental.

I find things like citizan Khan awful and there is an American one where everyone is black and they make fun of the white neighbours.. Total trash but its the old shows re-hashed.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Things go round get re-hased and get churned out again in a different guise.

If you think about it there isnt much difference between an old freak show and the shows like embarrising bodies or the big brother house or the valleys... we sit around laughing at other peoples problems be they physcial , social or in some cases mental.

I find things like citizan Khan awful and there is an American one where everyone is black and they make fun of the white neighbours.. Total trash but its the old shows re-hashed.
Citizen Khan is the only modern comedy we enjoy watching, it is very amusing.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 11:34 AM

The Goon Show had it all, for me, on Radio, at first, and later on TV.

Fabulous - nothing like it now...I think?

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I dunno
I used to think this was very funny but watching it now it's doesn't seem Thta funny.

I never met a nice South African

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDk6ZeGNnU
I loved Spitting Image. It was brilliant satyr. I liked all the programs mentioned by others as well, they were funny then & some are funny still.
Times change & not always for the better.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
What those shows demonstrate is the levels to which we as people are brainwashed.

There are periods in history, throughout history, where people simply accepted certain things and thought absolutely nothing of them. That's because of the social conditioning and social environment that had been created at that time for people.

Hence noone battered an eyelid at "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" and "Love Thy Neighbour". Equally noone battered an eyelid at Morecambe & Wise sketches where they were both sharing the same bed.

Our social conditioning has since been altered and we now live in a different social environment.

What this should teach us is that we are being constantly manipulated. We are being told what to think, what to say what not to say. The State is attempting to do our thinking for us and simply wants us to comply.

What we feel is acceptable today, will most certainly become "beyond the pale" in the future as our social environment is changed once again.
Hence noone battered an eyelid at "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" and "Love Thy Neighbour" you say.

Some did. I didn't watch it because it was a one joke "comedy". The joke was calling his black neighbour a coon, nig-nog etc.

Not my idea of quality entertainment.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I loved Spitting Image. It was brilliant satyr. I liked all the programs mentioned by others as well, they were funny then & some are funny still.
I liked Spitting Image too, they'd have a field day with the lot we've got now!
I don't laugh at people's problems, I don't watch Big Brother or Jeremy Vile and certainly don't laugh at Embarrassing Bodies! What a strange thing to say!
PS. I know lots of nice S. Africans
That guy looks like Corbyn!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 12:59 PM

So as an Englishman should i have been offended by this.

Not at all so funny and the team often turned stereotypes on there head.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I liked Spitting Image too, they'd have a field day with the lot we've got now!
I don't laugh at people's problems, I don't watch Big Brother or Jeremy Vile and certainly don't laugh at Embarrassing Bodies! What a strange thing to say!
PS. I know lots of nice S. Africans
That guy looks like Corbyn!
I used to wonder how they, Spitting Image, got away with it. Their potrayal of the Royal Family was hilarious.
I hate Big Brother & the other programs you mentioned, I never watched any after the first time & not all the program either, after a quarter of an hour I'd seem enough to put me off ever watching them again.
PS, I knew a few good SA people too, one is a pen pal & she's been my pal for 30 odd years.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've never understood why some of them can't be shown many were actually showing how stupid racism was, not saying it was ok. If you watched love my neighbour the white racist was the one always got shown up as stupid and Dave Allen abosoletly lampooned everyone religions and atheists I've I remember correctly but in a kind way I don't remember him being hateful.

So the shows are ok it's us got stupid can't tell the difference between real racism and something shows racism for what it is.
Exactly Julie. I remember watching it when I was young and loved it when Bill Reynolds got the upper hand at the end. Of course the racist comments (not racist then) went both ways with Reynolds calling Eddie things like snowflake and white honky, so he gave as good as he got. The whole idea of the programme was to make Eddie look an idiot, which he was.

The stock argument against the programme itself was that it was racist against black people, along with Till death do us part but those that think that didn't really get the point.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I only wish Spitting Image was on now, just think of all the material they would have.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top