Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 07:12 AM

Re: Strange phenomenon

You are right, Nom, and I am really enjoying participating in the "Go Wild in June" campaign - learning a lot - seeing a lot!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 07:47 AM

As a child, I remember picking flowers on weeds to see what they smelt like, following insects to see where they went and why they were going there, counting the number of butterflies that came into our garden and getting so excited when I saw larger forms of wildlife. I sometimes wonder if present day children get as close to nature as I did and feel sad if they don't have the opportunities to learn about nature and the world we live in. I see so many using phones, tablets and pc's but nothing is the same as learning about nature when you are actually seeing it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
As a child, I remember picking flowers on weeds to see what they smelt like, following insects to see where they went and why they were going there, counting the number of butterflies that came into our garden and getting so excited when I saw larger forms of wildlife. I sometimes wonder if present day children get as close to nature as I did and feel sad if they don't have the opportunities to learn about nature and the world we live in. I see so many using phones, tablets and pc's but nothing is the same as learning about nature when you are actually seeing it.
Very true, Twink, they would rather look it up on Google or Wiki than go and look for themselves. I wonder if that is why so many modern children seem to be afraid of Spiders, Ladybirds etc., I know someone whose 8yr old is terrified of Butterflies - how sad is that.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2016, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Very true, Twink, they would rather look it up on Google or Wiki than go and look for themselves. I wonder if that is why so many modern children seem to be afraid of Spiders, Ladybirds etc., I know someone whose 8yr old is terrified of Butterflies - how sad is that.
I appreciate that they are being brought up in a different time but I always think, what would they do if there was a disaster and they had to fend for themselves, in the future. If you understand nature you will have some knowledge to help you survive, because nature always provides if you know where to look. After a disaster pc's may not still be there to help!
I wouldn't choose to eat snails but, if the disaster caused wet conditions, at least I know that I can.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top