Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 09:31 PM

Re: Crime paid.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have no idea, but I'm afraid there is no shortage of those who do. What drives them? Is it something to do with their consciences? Do they feel better having defended one of these little scrotes?
Who knows JBR? Maybe they see themselves as "humanitarian" and can make many excuses for the criminals, but give very little thought to the victims.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 09:54 PM

I would expect a young child of 7 or 8 to know that it is wrong to break into somebody's home and steal something so a boy of 16 must know it is an offence and expect punishment. What upsets me is that a 16 year old has so little respect for others property and no understanding of the pain he caused to those people. If he took those puppies his punishment should reflect the trauma he caused to the family, their home and the puppies.
If he was doing the job for a 3rd party, perhaps he should also reflect on the type of people he is involved with.
Whatever he did, he was responsible for it, so the punishment should fit the crime.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
If he took those puppies his punishment should reflect the trauma he caused to the family, their home and the puppies.
Whatever he did, he was responsible for it, so the punishment should fit the crime.
Indeed, in the words of Gilbert and Sullivan, "Let the punishment fit the crime", and I am all for 'poetic justice'. You smash someone's face in: you get your face smashed in.

I have, in the past, condemned a certain race/religion for having a mediaeval outlook on life, but in some respects I agree with them.

It's never going to happen, of course.

Or is it?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=Tpin;862467]Without the papers the dogs are only worth a fraction of their true value.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, Tpin.

I agree if you are buy/selling pedigree dogs the paperwork should certainly be in order - BUT, the sort of people who deal in stolen goods aren't going to worry about minor details like that.

I happen to know someone only about 3 miles from here, who has been selling litters of pups for donkey's years with forged paperwork.
I know for a fact, one of her tricks is to register a litter of say, 4 pups as a litter of 8 instead. No one from the KC comes out and counts the puppies, they just send her the registrations for her 8 imaginary puppies. She then has 4 lots of spare papers to sell with something else which didn't have any paperwork at all, and is not the breeding she says.

She has many litters, mating her bitch's every season without a rest (which is against KC rules). If she can obtain surplus paperwork with every litter born, she must have mountains of false papers, and naive new owners are paying her perhaps 4 times the price for puppies, believing them to be of good breeding, from health tested parents.

I also know she has bought in unregistered dogs from her dubious 'supplier' somewhere down south, and when they leave her shortly afterwards, they're all suddenly registered dogs after all!

I reported her to the KC years ago, but they did nothing about it.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 02:36 AM

Just out of curiosity, I would like to hear from you all just what punishment you think would "fit the crime".

Now remember, we're talking about a 16yo who pinched a couple of dogs.
Not some serial rapist, murderer, terrorist, paedophile, white collar fraudster ripping off millions from pensioners or violent career-crim holding up banks or bashing little old ladies.

Should we lop off a hand (or two - well, there were two dogs) ?
Beat the crap out of him (Cat o' Nine Tails) ?
A long jail term ( guaranteed to provide training for a life of crime) ?
Transportation to Australia ?

One or two of you have already advocated bashing the kid - so let's hear more.

I'm no Christian - but any here who might claim to be - would no doubt remember Jesus' many thoughts about justice and forgiveness.

All yours ........
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 10:58 AM

I can't believe you are still being so flippant about crime!

You seem to think that 'a sixteen year old boy who pinched a couple of dogs' is hardly worth bothering about, merely because there are worse things going elsewhere in the world. That has nothing whatever to do with this.

I don't believe people are born bad, but it has to start somewhere. I would hazard a guess and say this crime wasn't even his first, nor will it be his last because people like you try to encourage leniency for criminals.

Was it because it was 'only' dogs you thought it was harmless? Would you have felt that, being as he was 16, it was OK if he had crowbarred him and his mates into your home while you were out and stolen your stuff?
Or what if it had been your son who the police had arrested? Would you think that OK too, just because worse things happened elsewhere?
I am struggling to understand your attitude Pummy.

Of course I would feel like bashing him if he had stolen my dogs because I treasure them, so it would be a natural enough feeling. But he was guilty of breaking and entering whether you like it or not, and should have received a jail sentence. I bet you that yobs like that will go on to reoffend many times now that he has learned there is virtually no punishment.
In his case, crime did pay, as I said in the beginning.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

You seem to think that 'a sixteen year old boy who pinched a couple of dogs' is hardly worth bothering about, merely because there are worse things going elsewhere in the world. That has nothing whatever to do with this.

I don't believe people are born bad, but it has to start somewhere. I would hazard a guess and say this crime wasn't even his first, nor will it be his last because people like you try to encourage leniency for criminals.

Was it because it was 'only' dogs you thought it was harmless? Would you have felt that, being as he was 16, it was OK if he had crowbarred him and his mates into your home while you were out and stolen your stuff?
Or what if it had been your son who the police had arrested? Would you think that OK too, just because worse things happened elsewhere?

Of course I would feel like bashing him if he had stolen my dogs because I treasure them, so it would be a natural enough feeling. But he was guilty of breaking and entering whether you like it or not, and should have received a jail sentence. I bet you that yobs like that will go on to reoffend many times now that he has learned there is virtually no punishment.
I agree with you Mups. If someone stole my dog, who is as much a part of my family as any human, probably more so because she lives with us 24 hours a day, I would be happy to see the thief whipped for the grief he caused me and my dog. A dog may be just a dog to some people, but to others that dog could be the reason they get up in the morning, it could be the one thing that gives them any love or comfort.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Well said, Mups.

I sometimes wonder just how bad crime must get in this country before meaningful punishments are handed out.

I remember the days of the birch which taught young thugs right from wrong before they grew older and more evil.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I agree with you Mups. If someone stole my dog, who is as much a part of my family as any human, probably more so because she lives with us 24 hours a day, I would be happy to see the thief whipped for the grief he caused me and my dog. A dog may be just a dog to some people, but to others that dog could be the reason they get up in the morning, it could be the one thing that gives them any love or comfort.
I would like to add to that Clumsy. The dog is your property, so stealing it is theft ( irrespective of what it's value is). Also if somebody broke into your home you may never feel safe there again. This isn't a trivial crime, it is one that causes great distress to the victim, on many counts, yet some seem to think it is " Just a couple of dogs". I wonder how they would feel if this boy had broken into their mothers home, stolen her late husbands war medal and made her feel so afraid that she could no longer live alone?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
..... People who hurt, offend or rip me off are not worth my time or effort.
Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Agree with every word
From another thread.

But I wonder how they'd feel if someone pinched a couple of their (many?) dogs.

Still waiting for a few replies regarding a fair and just punishment - one which would actually serve a purpose.
Perhaps there are some who get a warm, fuzzy self-righteous glow by advocating dire vengeance for minor offences.
Even if they were not in court and are relying totally on the 'perfect' media.

I wonder .... if it were their grandson .... ?

I worked for some years (as a volunteer) with youth who had 'gone astray'.
Saw many magnificent 'turn arounds'.
I subsequently employed several of them - or got them jobs with others.
Never saw a single one changed for the better by harsh punishment. (Quite the reverse, actually)
Even if it gave their original victim a glow at the time.

Guess it depends on what one is trying to achieve.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top