Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2016, 01:55 PM

Re: EATING IN THE FIFTIES and SIXTIES

Times change-once upon a time there were coffee bars mostly run by Italians. Do not go there for that is where hooligan bikers go before burning up the road and giving some chap a razor smile. Then we had pubs and clubs where we had folks drinking and getting pissed before going out to kill with drunken driving or to give some bloke who looked the wrong way a razor smile.

Then Blair wanted a cafe` culture. We behave very nicely and just have a nice cup of coffee. Then we get pissed and give someone a nice lip trimming.

A cynic? Me???
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2016, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Bread & butter pudding, with sultanas. I liked that.
Bone stew, my Mother made it regularly, I hated finding the tiny bones in my mouth, put me off eating it, that & any fish with bones & all fish had bones then. I still hate fish.
...yes more 'grey' food
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2016, 02:15 PM

It was indeed `grey` Nine o clock put on the veg. Roast beef? Cheap cut and cook it until it was so far from rare it was disgustingly common. The evil one would pronounce upon the meal,fart and put down his fag.

Actually I owe my parents a lot. Once I was free and was at University I had an image of food-look Steph anything has to be better than that. I started to cook properly.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2016, 02:33 PM

Ahh the swinging sixties, the Expresso coffee bar where we always met with friends - with it's lovely black glass coffee cups and saucers, the machines that hissed away as they made your frothy coffee, the two obligatory orange and milk machines on show, the strawberry, chocolate or vanilla milkshakes.

Then at the weekend, it was off to the pub for my favourite (sophisticated) drink of Rum and Blackcurrant, followed by Chicken and Chips with half a tomato and a lettuce leaf as decoration, served in a basket on top of a red serviette.

Those were the days.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Whatever we ate back then seemed to work, you could count the number of overweight people in your area on one hand, now it’s the reverse, what does that tell us I wonder?
Don't know about other houses but in our house nobody would have been fat because the food was so awful .
The vegetables were boiled to death and tasteless .
The worst thing was the meat all stringy and full of fat .
No wonder I'm a vegetarian
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2016, 07:22 PM

I don't think we could buy semi skimmed or skimmed milk in those days
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2016, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I don't think we could buy semi skimmed or skimmed milk in those days
Which made me think of full cream milk delivered on the doorstep with the orange juice in a bottle. I remember I quite liked the orange juice, although I'm sure it wasn't the real stuff.

Was it tits that holed the foil to drink the cream off the milk?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2016, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Which made me think of full cream milk delivered on the doorstep with the orange juice in a bottle. I remember I quite liked the orange juice, although I'm sure it wasn't the real stuff.

Was it tits that holed the foil to drink the cream off the milk?

Yes Blue Tits Pesta they still come for my milk which is left on the front step .

The orange juice was nice but a bit watery rather like watered down Britvic orange.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

19-11-2016, 08:35 PM

~Yes it was tits. I got promoted to milk monitor at primary school. Far too young to think about girls` chests back then
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2016, 10:28 PM

Ah yes, I remember the '50s and '60s.

In Yorkshire, we were so poor that we could only afford the cheapest cuts of meat: fat, gristle, skin and very little else. Dripping sandwiches were the order of the day, too.

I put that down to the fact that I very rarely eat meat these days.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top