Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2015, 12:00 PM

Re: Do you buy British

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I do like to limit the air miles on all my foodstuffs. Not just a sense of loyalty also I dont think its that good for the food to have been harvested and flow around the globe before getting here.
Plus pesticides and water standards in far off places differ greatly from our own.
When it comes to other products Im not that bothered ...I once went to buy a large applience and mentioned Id prefer to buy British. The shop owner said 'now do you want made in UK but owned by a forgien company or do you want a Bristish company who has their factory in China or India'?

Made me realise that made in UK, by British workers, in British company was almost impossible.

That is a very important point, Cass. Other countries are still using pesticides which are banned here, and sometimes, vice versa even. It doesn't make sense when one country says a certain chemical is dangerous and bans it, yet another country can carry on using it. Surely it's either flippin' dangerous or it isn't!

Even my local garden centre said the other day, that they are able to use/sell less and less chemical treatments now as so many are being banned, yet they can happily import plants which have been treated with these chemicals. Weird.

This applies to food sources as well as rearing and slaughter procedures abroad too.
I don't know the current situation with poultry rearing and egg production, but other places were still being allowed to feed/rear/slaughter less hygienically than us.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2015, 01:59 PM

I buy British when and where I can but would never buy anything from Israel of course.
My main motivation is price, I always check to see that I am getting the best value.
Boots
Dorset UK
Boots is female  Boots has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2015, 03:47 PM

I buy British as far as possible. I get my meat from a local pig farm and buy it by the side. Half a pig lasts more or less a year for us. He also has
contacts with a farmer who has sheep and another who has beef and I get some of that in bulk too (not half a cow though I hasten to add). No fishmongers near here even though we do live by the sea so rarely buy fish. Not too keen on it anyway. We had a nice greengrocer not too far away but he closed through lack of trade no doubt. We only buy organic milk and yoghurts which are British too.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2015, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I buy British when and where I can but would never buy anything from Israel of course.
My main motivation is price, I always check to see that I am getting the best value.
I must ask, what is wrong with buying from Israel?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I must ask, what is wrong with buying from Israel?
Too many air miles?
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Too many air miles?
What? New Zealand lamb. Lots of air miles there.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2015, 07:16 AM

I buy ozzie all the time!! - don't want any of that cheap muck from around the world. We have the best from meat to sugar!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2015, 09:03 PM

Hubby and I were discussing this only last night. We both agree that the Dairy farmers are being treated disgracefully by the majority of supermarkets in the prices they are being paid for their milk. I do appreciate it isn't always the fault of the supermarkets though and we do have a glut of milk due to European milk coming in, but the sad fact is that the way things are going, pretty soon all of our own Dairy farmers will be forced out of business and then the European market will be able to dictate milk prices and I believe prices will go through the roof with very little competition from our own farmers to stop them. Unfortunately it will be too late then.

I live in rural Shropshire and I know how they are suffering around here. Milk prices are far too cheap. of course customers appreciate cheap prices but a fair price should be paid for milk. Hubby and I agree that we think around the £1.50 - £1.75 for 4 pints is a fair price that we would be happily prepared to pay to support British Dairy Farmers to stop them all going out of business around here and the rest of the country.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I buy ozzie all the time!! - don't want any of that cheap muck from around the world. We have the best from meat to sugar!
After watching Masterchef Australia and the delicious, generous cuts of meats that they used......Mmmmm, definitely agree ozzie meat is top of the crop of meats.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

13-08-2015, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
What? New Zealand lamb. Lots of air miles there.
Welsh lamb for me but my goodness, it is sooooo expensive at the moment, can't recall when I last bought a whole leg of lamb like I used to. even half a leg of welsh lamb is sooooo expensive, as are the chump chops I used to buy.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top