Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 12:56 AM

Re: The Not So Humble Spud

Originally Posted by solo ->
Odd how we forget then return to these old comfort foods.

Baked potatoes were often a make do and mend dish and yet they are now fashionably sold frozen in boxes.

I've seen those, but fresh are so much better. I adore potatoes, love them. To take to work for lunch tomorrow, I roasted some baby red potatoes with fresh spinach
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 03:15 PM

Yum! those photo’s and recipes are making me feel hungry.
One recipe that is a favourite in our house is one my mum used most days to either accompany a meal or to top a shepherd’s or cottage pie.
It’s called “Colcannon Mash”.
Have always done it this way ever since.

This usually serves 4 people.

500grams starchy potatoes (I’ve always used baking potatoes (less moisture) but King Edward or Desiree just as good for mashing.

200grams Cabbage (mum used Kale but any cabbage is just as nice)

2 medium Leeks (again mum used Scallions but I don’t personally like them) If you don’t like Leeks try chopped Spring Onions instead. Lovely!

225ml Milk

Salt and Black Pepper

115grams of Melted butter.

Peel and quarter your potatoes and put them onto boil for 20/25 minutes with a good pinch of salt in the water. When tender, scoop out the potatoes into a colander for a couple of minutes and then place into a bowl and mash with masher or a fork only, season well.

5 minutes before potatoes done, chop or shred your cabbage ready to place into the same water potatoes were cooked in. cook for 5 minutes.

Also 15 minutes before potatoes done, and in another small saucepan, put the milk onto simmer and when heated place the sliced Leeks into the milk and cook gently until soft..

Stir in the Leeks and Milk into the mashed Potato, Stir in the Cabbage and put back on the hob to quickly heat through.

Make a well in the mash and pour in the melted butter. Mix well.

Goes super with Ham or Gammon also.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
For me getting the right variety of potato is all important to the results. For creamed potatoes it has to be King Edwards cooked till soft/dried off/ mashed then beaten with butter, warm milk,black pepper and lots of freshly picked chopped chives.
King Edwards also work well for sauted potatoes with garlic and rosemary.
You should try Duke of York first THEN say King Eddies are best Meg!! stevmk2

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top