Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Re: Fly Tipping .....

I once had to have some asbestos removed, which has to go to a special dump. What I thought was ridiculous, was I was told that if the builder had decided to fly tip it instead, the householder is held responsible! Short of following the builder to watch where he took it, , how the heck would I know what he did? How on earth could I be held responsible if he had fly tipped it somewhere?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 12:39 PM

Live in a flat Twiz - no garden .......
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 04:02 PM

Window box?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 04:09 PM

NO !! Not allowed !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 04:30 PM

Part of my job where I work is disposal of rubbish at the local Recycling Centre.
That rubbish tends to be mostly cardboard in the form of boxes and packaging but we also have a wide range of plastics too to dispose of, and that's where it gets complicated!

In our separate, Council-maintained "Wheelie Bins" we are not supposed to put items that are recyclable and the Jobs-Worths that operate the trucks enforce that rigidly yet if I take what I regard as Recyclable Material and try to put it in what I think is the correct container at the Recycling Centre, the staff there will tell me to put it into the Landfill Containers so what really is the point of "doing your bit" if a good percentage still goes into Landfill?

Where i live all green rubish - garden rubbish - went into containers that where destined for composting but then they decided that food rubbish would be included, so now the by-product of the old green rubbish can no longer be used to produce compost because there's no distinction into the food rubbish, so meat / protein product waste is included, which cannot be properly composted.

Now our Council has to pay others to take this all away and turn it into a "soil treatment" whereas before the end product was compost that they bagged and sold cheaply to farmers - and to the public!

Quite honestly I cannot understand why the disposal of some packaging is not back-charged to the retailers because not only does it take years to break down but it also requires far more logistics and, therefore, costs!

Some people that I know take all their supermarket packaging back to the same, supermarket bins but I found that much of that goes straight to Landfill so why are we, the public, trying to do our bit when businesses seems to do whatever they like?

Equally, why are so many Councils trying to build Incinerators now to incinerate all kinds of rubbish, regardless of whether it's recyclable or not?

Some are actually planning power generation from rubbish but the pollution aspects are being ignored just as the wishes of local communities are being ignored because many of these madcap schemes involve huge logistic incursions in the countryside causing damage to roads etcetera which WE then have to pay for!

Is it me or has the whole world gone mad?!! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

25-10-2013, 04:45 PM

Great post Steve and you have voiced my concerns in all this.
We are now having to do the food waste bit, I will - up to a point. For me this is a step too far.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top