Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 10:28 AM

Re: Could You Wear Dead People's Clothes?

I've just realised my mum's nightie is over twenty years old, she died in '96, it's still going strong!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've just realised my mum's nightie is over twenty years old, she died in '96, it's still going strong!
Then well done you Tess, you have obviously looked after it well.
To me clothes are clothes, no matter who originally bought them. I would always wash them to make sure they were clean, but I currently wear some cardigans and sweaters that belonged to my older sister, who died 2 years ago. In a silly way, I am comforted to think that the money she spent on them wasn't wasted, and I know she would be happy that I appreciated her choice.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 10:52 AM

Yes Twink it's nice to have a connection to someone.
I have locks of hair from my mum and dad, I know I can touch part of them if I want to, I don't but, it's comforting to know I can. Clothes can be like that too.
A nice idea I've seen is turning bits of their favourite clothes into a quilt or keepsake.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 11:05 AM

My mother also died in 1996! I still have her purse, it still has receipts in there and a piece of straw from the nativity stable in the church. She always said, if you kept a piece of straw from the stable in your purse, you would never be broke!
The purse also smells of her! Nice not horrid!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

21-08-2016, 11:07 AM

Just a thought, I wonder if one of my kids will wear my googles?!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Yes Twink it's nice to have a connection to someone.
I have locks of hair from my mum and dad, I know I can touch part of them if I want to, I don't but, it's comforting to know I can. Clothes can be like that too.
I nice idea I've seen is turning bits of their favourite clothes into a quilt or keepsake.
What a lovely idea!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 01:36 PM

I like to mix high street fashion with one or two expensive buys and a few vintage pieces thrown in too

So the answer has to be yes

Coats and jackets are especially good..
So cheap in comparison to shops and they can turn a boring autumn/winter outfit in to something amazing.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2016, 06:56 PM

Sometimes needs must. My daughter and I had to live with 2nd hand clothes for a good few years, until finances picked up. Whether they were from people who had gone to a better place, I don't know. But I always washed them.

We progressed from charity shops, to a dress agency that sold used clothes (better quality ) and then on to new clothes - woohoo!

Actually, I got some great clothes for her over the years.

Now I look like I only wear charity clothes

I would never get shoes or handbags and never 2nd hand underwear, not that I saw underwear in the shops. I've passed new underwear from deceased folk to the local hospitals in the past, also Social Work Depts of hospitals - they used to keep a store of good used clothing. I suppose they don't do that now though.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top