Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 01:42 PM

Re: The Stones ....

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Never understood why The Beatles are always revered when the Stones were much better!
The Beatles 'were' fab !
They were the first and set the path for the others .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 09:51 PM

......but so ugly and boring!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 07:30 PM

True - they were, loved the music tho'
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

The Beatles were original whereas the Stones, certainly in their early days, derivative. It took the Beatles for Jagger and Richards to realise they could even write their own songs something Lennon and Macartney had been doing from their formation.

For example Their Satanic Majesty Requests was the Stones trying to catch up with the Beatles after Sgt Pepper (and a very poor attempt at it too). The best of the Stones was yet to come.

Whether you like the music or not the Beatles were streets ahead of the Stones in originality but the Stones were a great performing band. The Beatles were the 60s, the Sixties ended when the Beatles broke up (1972?)
I disagree. Much of the Beatles early work (the Hamburg stuff for example) was just as derivative and of much poorer quality than the Stones - "My Bonnie Lies over the ocean" etc etc. It took Brian Epstein to mould the Beatles into a more commercial sound. The Stones didn't try to fit into the existing "pop" market - they created their own market based on an increasing number of British young people who were getting into US Blues and Rhythm and Blues music. Although much of their sets were made up of existing blues and R&B standards, they were also writing songs from the very beginning. Many of their early B sides were credited to the writing partnership Nanker-Phelge, which was actually Mick and Keith.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

08-01-2014, 02:39 PM

Equally good were these two bands for me
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 05:27 AM

I agree Keith is an awesome guitarist! I have loved the Stones since I first heard them in the Late 60's. Saw them in concert several years ago. My fave song of all time is "Satisfaction"
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 10:36 AM

Never liked the Beatles, Stones or indeed any other 'pop' group, have never been to a 'pop' concert or festival either in or outdoors and have intention of attending one even if offerred £1million to do so. 'Pop' music does nothing for me - I much prefer opera and classical music which actually carries a memorable melody.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 12:32 PM

Each to his/her own Joe, but I can't help feel that you are missing out by ignoring a whole, important branch of culture. I love classical music, opera and (some) jazz, but I also love a lot of rock, pop and folk music. There is a lot of "dross" in popular music, but in the same way, the vast majority of classical music is rubbish - the difference being that being that much older, only the better classical music has survived - the rubbish is long forgotten.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

03-03-2014, 01:42 PM

Agree Mick - I love a wide variety of music - hope most people do ...
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 06:10 PM

I love all music except todays pop.I often have a bit of a rave when the neighbours go out, a bit partial to Meat loaf at the moment.Also love a bit of Rock and Roll.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top