Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2013, 08:22 AM

Re: Let's live for a change..

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Jean darlin' - a challenge for you - a seat (or two) at the Konsertverein Hall in Vienna 1st January 2014 to attend the Vienna State Opera Orchestra concert held annually on 1st January.
Nice thought, Uncle Joe, but we only come in July/Aug to avoid our winter and benefit (?) from your summer. However, we did see the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra in Sydney at the Opera House last year. The year before that was the Berlin Philharmonic with Simon Rattle. We're off to Sydney again in March to see the AO do Carmen on the harbour.

Let me know if you can think of something for July/August.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2013, 11:59 PM

My number one hope is to live to see my grandchildren grow up to be adults and maybe even be a great-grandad.

Apart from that, I'd like to have a few holidays with the wife to some places we've always wanted to go but never had the time.

One thing I don't want to do is stagnate however.

In a recent interview on Scottish Television Billy Connolly said "don't die until you're dead". Very true, I only want to stop doing what I want when I am in the ground.

Until then, I shall continue to fulfill my dreams and aspirations.

I would love to climb a few mountains etc., but I doubt my old heart and lungs would allow me - so they are off the cards unfortunately.

That doesn't mean we can't go on holidays round the world and see the sights though.

As I always say, live each day as if it is your last because one day - it will be.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I don't want to climb any mountains or ski over the alps or ford any wild rivers. Our interests are classical music, film and theatre and we go to as many events as we can as that is what I enjoy most and I have good friends with whom I regularly go shopping or eating. I honestly can't think of anything I desperately still need to do. but it's interesting to read what others want to do - or don't want to do!
That makes me want to add to my earlier post. We can and do go to many good local places. The seaside is only about and hour or so away. We also go fairly often to local theatres to see all the old sixties groups and tribute bands. Always a good night out.

A while ago, we went to see a classical music quartet called 'The Lochrian Ensemble'. I can recommend seeing them if they ever come your way. On the 19th January, we're off to see 'Think Floyd', a Pink Floyd tribute band that we have been to see before.

Some good restaurants in the area too and the neighbours are great. We spent New Year's Eve with our neighbour's over the road, along with a few others who live in the locality. Mrs mart helps to run a centre for disabled people (teaches crafts) for part of one day a week. I get out and ride my mountain bike over on the rough ground for a couple of hours 3 times a week (weather permitting).

So it is possible to 'live' without going away anywhere. Just have to tailor life to one's capabilities sometimes.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2013, 08:59 AM

Nice thought, Uncle Joe, but we only come in July/Aug to avoid our winter and benefit (?) from your summer. However, we did see the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra in Sydney at the Opera House last year. The year before that was the Berlin Philharmonic with Simon Rattle. We're off to Sydney again in March to see the AO do Carmen on the harbour.

Let me know if you can think of something for July/August.

Hmmm - got me thinking. Somewhere in the Italian/Austrian (?) Lakes there is an opera performed on a stage out in the lake and the audience are seated at the lake's edge. Not sure where this is though or when other than it has to be in the summer sometime.

I do know of one place (Paphos in Cyprus) which hosts a music festival (Opera) every year in the open air - this though is at the beginning of September - its very warm there - was able to attend just in shirt sleeves although the performance didn't end till well past 23.00.

There is of course my own home town festival (Brighton) through the month of May every year with many classical concerts at various venues across the town.

As and when I hear of other events in the coming months, I'll let you know Jean darlin'.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2013, 11:53 PM

Thanks, Joe. We have actually booked our trip for next year and are doing a 10 day tour of the northern Italian lakes and will have a day in Milan and a day in Verona so may see La Scala and the amphitheatre if not an actual performance, although I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And we'll get to something in London in July - probably a prom concert at the AH. So I am doing what I want to do as much as I can.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Thanks, Joe. We have actually booked our trip for next year and are doing a 10 day tour of the northern Italian lakes and will have a day in Milan and a day in Verona so may see La Scala and the amphitheatre if not an actual performance, although I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And we'll get to something in London in July - probably a prom concert at the AH. So I am doing what I want to do as much as I can.
We stayed at Lake Como and had a trip to Milan. We went to La Scala and watched some of the cast rehearsing. They have a little museum inside with photographs of all the great opera stars who have performed there and lots of props that have been used on stage. Well worth a trip if you have the time to do it.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania

03-01-2013, 11:28 PM

They have a little museum inside with photographs of all the great opera stars who have performed there and lots of props that have been used on stage. Well worth a trip if you have the time to do it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm hoping we can at least go in. Would be even better if something is on.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 07:47 PM

every day is a gift since last year and my new hear part

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top