Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 10:08 AM

Re: Microchips - again

They are tiny Julie, that one is from a cat i do wonder why they are considered risky.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
They are tiny Julie, that one is from a cat i do wonder why they are considered risky.
Size of the needle took me by surprise, the chip didn't look too big but the needle was large even for a Labrador, Elsie much bigger than Betty felt if and squealed and she's pretty good and will have needles and blood taken quite happily.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 11:11 AM

People who makes silly excuses for not having their dog microchipped are very foolish indeed!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 11:14 AM

And people who make judgements on professional vetinary care without examining the animal are even more silly IMO
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
And people who make judgements on professional vetinary care without examining the animal are even more silly IMO
The law is the law and they should be microchipped, has any dog been harmed by being microchipped? I doubt it!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 11:35 AM

Very elderly or weak dogs or even dogs too small shouldn't be chipped. It would be cruel to do so, I think vets know who are genuine T.

Julie, there are mini chips made for small dogs, but not everyone knows, and don't ask their vets about it.

I certainly wouldn't be happy with a Chihuahua or Pom at 8 weeks being given the same size chip as a Gt.Dane pup, hence the mini chips.
Mind you, I don't like such young pups done anyway, I would rather wait till they've grown more.

What really bugs me is how a very young pup, usually still quite happy with its mother, suddenly has to have a collection of nasty vaccinations, plus this new Lepto jab (which has many bad reports), plus be wormed, plus some people deflea, then a microchip stuffed in it as well!!
It is far too much for such a young animal in such a short space of time. My vet knows how I feel about this.

Maybe it is the smaller chips are also used on birds Nom? I don't know.

It is not just the chip size anyway, it is the needle size that worries me. It is a lot bigger than most needles as it has to contain the chip.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-10-2016, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
The law is the law and they should be microchipped, has any dog been harmed by being microchipped? I doubt it!
Yes they have ! Luckily my late Duncan's only moved down his shoulder into his leg with no harm done but dogs and cats have been harmed in the recent past.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-10-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Julie, there are mini chips made for small dogs.

I certainly wouldn't be happy with a Chihuahua or Pom at 8 weeks being given the same size chip as a Gt.Dane pup, hence the mini chips.
Mind you, I don't like such young pups done anyway, I would rather wait till they've grown more.

What really bugs me is how a very young pup, usually still quite happy with its mother, suddenly has to have a collection of nasty vaccinations, plus this new Lepto jab (which has many bad reports), plus be wormed, plus some people deflea, then a microchip stuffed in it as well!!
It is far too much for such a young animal in such a short space of time. My vet knows how I feel about this.

Maybe it is the smaller chips are also used on birds Nom? I don't know.

It is not just the chip size anyway, it is the needle size that worries me. It is a lot bigger than most needles as it has to contain the chip.
Ah they must have come about after Betty was chipped, but I mentioned size of needle previously it's really big compared with the chip !
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

20-10-2016, 11:39 AM

Yes they have ! Luckily my late Duncan's only moved down his shoulder into his leg with no harm done but dogs and cats have been harmed in the recent past.
Hmmmmmmmmm! If that is the case I suspect it is only a small minority, so for the greater good of HUMANS, who are much more important, ALL dogs should be done whether their owners or vets like it or not.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 11:39 AM

That is true Julie. Some chips do migrate.
I have two friends dogs this happened to. One moved all the way to near its hip, and the other was found in his ear flap!!

I get my vet to check my dogs chips every so often to see they are still where they should be.
I have heard tales of dogs being picked up, lost, and then only scanned on the neck. No chip found - dog destroyed.
And the poor thing had been chipped all along.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top