Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 01:19 PM

Re: On-velope? Or enn-velope?

I wondered if it was regional Kal - or are you secretively a posh gal
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
I wondered if it was regional Kal - or are you secretively a posh gal
My parents are but I preferred to sound like my friends (much to my mother's horror ). As with most language, it just depends upon where you're from more than 'what you're from' - if that makes sense?

I will cringe a bit when I hear some words pronounced in a way that would have gotten a reaction from her (but that's more conditioning of me by her than anything else) - she would be equally scathing about the latest fad for saying 'parsty' instead of 'pasty', Glarsgow instead of Glasgow, Parkistarn instead of Pakistan - she would have deemed the flat 'a' as correct as it was how the word originated (in her opinion anyway). She is (or tries to be, she has dropped a few clangers) very correct in her use of language but she isn't too snobby about it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 01:33 PM

alright folks another puzzle - while Dough is pronounced Doh, why isn't cough (coff) pronounced the same. We eat Dough (doh) nuts, and chew cough (coff) sweets - why aren't they pronounced the same???
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
alright folks another puzzle - while Dough is pronounced Doh, why isn't cough (coff) pronounced the same. We eat Dough (doh) nuts, and chew cough (coff) sweets - why aren't they pronounced the same???
From what I've been told, it's something to do with where the words originated from (which language).
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 01:35 PM

Ah well - each to their own .....
Regional pronunciation is fine by me - if its a 'put on' voice - plain stupid ....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

03-10-2013, 01:37 PM

Regional pronunciation is fine by me - if its a 'put on' voice - plain stupid ....
Precisely - there isn't really a right or wrong way.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=Julie1962;356800]Bet you pet the dog instead of patting it and refer to gels not girls too [/QUOTE

Ebsolutly ..dont'cha know.

In truth I am a HAMPSHIRE HOG.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

03-10-2013, 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Junior;356828]
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Bet you pet the dog instead of patting it and refer to gels not girls too [/QUOTE

Ebsolutly ..dont'cha know.

In truth I am a HAMPSHIRE HOG.
What a guy
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 02:21 PM

Michela Wrong, British author and journalist wrote in her blog recently that she had decided to stop buying the Guardian. It was quite a funny blog and I especially agreed with the point I have highlighted.

“There's a deep, deep peace that comes with post-Guardianism. No more being preached at and hectored. No more superior sneering at the world in general. No more North London snobbery of the inverted I-speak-less-posh-than-you variety”.

I agree with posters who don’t like ‘put on’ accents. But surely if a person whose family has always spoken ‘posh’ starts speaking with a regional accent, that is also ‘put on’? (I’m not talking about people whose parents suddenly decided they were going to be ‘refained’ and expected their children to follow suit. I’m talking about people whose families have always spoken in a certain way suddenly deciding to 'put on' a regional accent)

Although I suppose there are occasions when it's quite valid to have two accents. A very posh South African (that's not an oxymoron) friend of my son immigrated to Ireland. We were in his car one day in a small town near Dublin and he stopped to ask directions and spoke in a lovely Irish lilt. He said he found it easier on certain occasions)
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 02:34 PM

I am an 'en' velope girl, funny thing is had to vocalise both variations first though. Surely this is because an 'envelope, envelops the content? As for the scone, sconn debate, I always understood that the correct term was 'sconn', simply because scone actually refers to the village of Scone in Scotland from where the 'stone of Scone originates.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top