Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Old Dog
Suffolk
Old Dog is male  Old Dog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 08:30 PM

Re: Speed

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Most drivers overestimate their own driving ability.
That may or may not be true but either way it doesn't alter the validity of the original post.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 08:37 PM

Why should we dictate what speed cars should be restricted to?
Some places don't have speed limits like some roads in Germany and even here In GB we can drive at well over 100mph, legally, if we wish
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Speed limits can only ever be recommended, as sometimes they are set too fast for the conditions and it becomes the driver's responsibility to assess the situation.
Speed limits are just that...limits not targets. It is up to the driver to assess the conditions and drive accordingly within those limits.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Speed limits are just that...limits not targets. It is up to the driver to assess the conditions and drive accordingly within those limits.
Well why don't they drive within the limits Pats?
Because some limits are just set ridiculously low so drivers just ignore them.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 10:32 PM

The motorway speed limit was introduced in 1965, the standard saloon was the Mini, Austin 1300, Ford Anglia etc.

The average saloon is now the BMW 3-Series.

No comparison, really.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Well its easy to reduce the speed of drivers, all modern cars are controlled by the ecu( a computer) so the ecu can be programmed to only go to a certain speed,( say 70mph) its known as a speed limiter, my van will only go to 70mph on the motorway
Yes, as long as our national speed limit remains at 70mph, I can see a very good reason for all cars in this country being limited (electronically) to that maximum speed.

One advantage that has not yet been mentioned here is that those who drive at ridiculously dangerous speeds in order to get away from pursuing police cars would not be able to do such things that put innocent parties at great risk. Naturally, police cars and emergency vehicles would not be limited in that way.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

29-02-2016, 12:29 AM

Sod that, JB.

Ok, but only if I could have a "late for me tea"button to override the limiter.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 12:55 AM

I must admit that I often drive at about 80mph if conditions are suitable and speed cameras absent. Perhaps the national speed limit should be raised accordingly.

However, I still believe that driving at well over 100 is lunacy. I don't mind if idiots want to kill themselves, but until there is some way of limiting death to them alone and not innocent motorists, I think there should be some way of preventing it.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

29-02-2016, 01:00 AM

I'd like to see the stats for the autobahns that have no speed limits.

When I rode/drove in Germany it was a refreshing experience, one where high speed motoring was enjoyable and not boring.

Everyone used the fast lanes in a responsible manner unlike here. You had to constantly be aware that many cars would be travelling faster than you and you drive to those understandings. I felt my alertness/awareness was far greater than trundling along at an antiquated 70mph.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-02-2016, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I'd like to see the stats for the autobahns that have no speed limits.

When I rode/drove in Germany it was a refreshing experience, one where high speed motoring was enjoyable and not boring.

Everyone used the fast lanes in a responsible manner unlike here. You had to constantly be aware that many cars would be travelling faster than you and you drive to those understandings. I felt my alertness/awareness was far greater than trundling along at an antiquated 70mph.
I can only assume that this is because we in the UK don't possess that common sense thing that we used to have.

I speak generally, of course. I know that I haven't lost my common sense and I'm sure that you haven't either, but it is my experience that many others have.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top