Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 06:08 PM

Re: TV Spies

Hi

Hilarious thread.

Paranoia rules.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Hilarious thread.

Paranoia rules.
Absolutely!

Some people will believe anything!

Just think - Would some manufacture add a camera and microphone, to all the millions of TVs he sells, in order to watch what a few of them get up to?

They don't even know who bought the TV!

maybe it's Ant & Deck making a surprise programme/

Or maybe It's Obama?

All will be revealed on April 1st.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 06:50 PM

A bit early for all fools day innit?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, Mrs. Rehab did mention it.
Did she mention quality rather than quantity?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
We said just the same Shirley, they certainly wouldn't learn much from listening to our inane prattle...
Probably still more interesting than 95% of TV programmes though.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 08:35 PM

I think I need a new TV. I had the back off and had a poke about looking for anything that should not be there.
There is not much in there as everything is micro.
The thing is it don't work now. Maybe I should not have used a metal magnetic screwdriver.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 08:45 PM

Mmm, for all delicate electronic work I tend to use a precision adjusting tool, a large lump hammer, if it still doesn't work I hit it harder.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Did she mention quality rather than quantity?
Sadly not.

Quality was lacking as well...

Fwiw - I'm only joking Rehab.
Left yourself wide open there matey..
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
When I bought my Panasonic "smart" TV, I disabled the internet, for the simple reason I had tablet, laptop and desktop computers to access it. I also read that spies are able to monitor your TV.
Now I see that spies are in fact doing this, making householders vulnerable.
Users of Netflix or any of the iPlayers (BBC, ITV etc) will need to have their smart TV Internet enabled because those services come via the Internet. Lots of people don't bother with Netflix or iPlayers but many do and will therefore want to have the TV connected to the Internet.

I read smart televisions can be hacked but if they don't incorporate a camera or a microphone, this isn't going to be the sort of hacking being spoken of here. Even if they have got cameras and microphones, they have to be enabled in the settings. If those settings aren't present in the menus, then it isn't that kind of TV.

I haven't got such a TV, so can only go by what I read but televisions of this nature should have a microphone symbol on one of the remote control buttons. This must be pressed to get the voice recognition to work. I suppose you'd need to have trust in whether the function is actually turned off when it says it is but I rather think it would be.

All in all, I think the functions in a television that enable voice recognition and verbal commands would have to be purposely left enabled for there to be any danger of information being gathered in this fashion.

I asked myself why any manufacturer would want to build this function into a TV? Then I thought about those who might physically disabled in one way or another. It would be very handy for them. The rest of us can just turn it off and not use it. I almost wish had a TV with voice recognition so I could to put to the test.

Is it that likely that televisions in the average home will be hacked? Maybe not hacked as such but it does seem that words get encrypted and stored on a remote server somewhere and that might not be desirable. I wouldn't be happy to use it if I didn't have to. Beaming the remote control's IR signal at the TV works for me.

Does anyone remember the Peter Cook character 'E.L Wisty'? It reminds me a bit of that. He reckoned, "Down the end of every pipe there is a government official looking at you". Today it would be, "Down the end of every household appliance ..."
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I almost wish had a TV with voice recognition so I could to put to the test.
I really should spot these glitches but sometimes don't. Should read 'so I could put it to the test'.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top