Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 10:00 AM

Re: Work, job turned down

Sounds like those of you with wives needed to tell your wife to get new friends. Many times I've heard the case of 'one of my wife's friend's' and it's all gone horribly wrong.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Hope your first job todger, is to offer them a cup of tea..
As a matter fact it is!

That or coffee AND biscuits AND regularly through the day AND a frozen meal at lunch time if they want it.

We REALLY do!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
No, but we deal with tradespeople and technicians who deal with us in our home. I guess that we're atypical.

Nowhere near the same thing as I expected or guessed. When you work in someones house they are completely different, it is their "castle" and expect far more and even the impossible.

I did it for over 20+ years in houses and offices and believe me people have a completely different attitude.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
As a matter fact it is!

That or coffee AND biscuits AND regularly through the day AND a frozen meal at lunch time if they want it.

We REALLY do!
So do we ..but not a frozen meal. It's more often a sandwich. It is a good one though with a few things in it to make it tasty.

I used to go around the houses to customers. Quite often 12 - 14 places a day. I could bank on some of those being fairly quick jobs though. Hopefully not long enough for food to be offered. ..well, maybe a biscuit.

Everyone used to offer tea or coffee though and it was a friendly part of the visit to accept. Also to talk about the garden, the dog, the decor and things generally not related to the job. That was what I always found best to do. I think this was the reason I quite often got asked for by name. I had be able to mend the TV or video recorder as well of course.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
So do we ..but not a frozen meal. It's more often a sandwich. It is a good one though with a few things in it to make it tasty.

I used to go around the houses to customers. Quite often 12 - 14 places a day. I could bank on some of those being fairly quick jobs though. Hopefully not long enough for food to be offered. ..well, maybe a biscuit.

Everyone used to offer tea or coffee though and it was a friendly part of the visit to accept. Also to talk about the garden, the dog, the decor and things generally not related to the job. That was what I always found best to do. I think this was the reason I quite often got asked for by name. I had be able to mend the TV or video recorder as well of course.
Sounds like you worked for a boss then mart??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 11:34 AM

Mart, todger,
Any jobs you need doing..?,
For breakfast I’d like a full English although a bacon sandwich will do at a pinch,
Elevenses, just a couple of biccies
Lunch , well I’d leave that to your discretion, but I don’t like liver, kidneys or mac and cheese, and some kind of nice pudding for dessert, that would be very nice
Round it all off by about threeish with a nice scone and jam, preferably home made, a slice of cake will do at a pinch, of course it goes without saying that copious amounts of tea/ coffee would be most welcome throughout the day,
No job too small...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->

Nice attitude Mart.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Mart, todger,
Any jobs you need doing..?,
For breakfast I’d like a full English although a bacon sandwich will do at a pinch,
Elevenses, just a couple of biccies
Lunch , well I’d leave that to your discretion, but I don’t like liver, kidneys or mac and cheese, and some kind of nice pudding for dessert, that would be very nice
Round it all off by about threeish with a nice scone and jam, preferably home made, a slice of cake will do at a pinch, of course it goes without saying that copious amounts of tea/ coffee would be most welcome throughout the day,
No job too small...
Could manage most of that except the full lunch but could probably come up with an Oakhouse forzen thing blasted in the micro.

Nor the full English, you'll have to settle for a bit of toast.

The next job will be installing the remaining electric storage heaters after the Chinese Plague has been made safe.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 11:59 AM

Primus, How could you eat the food or drink offered to you?
I learned my lesson when l used to do elderly ladies hair in their homes.
After having to drink some rank tea or eat sweets that had been held in their fist that was under their armpit, of folded arms, l realised it was best to say, ‘No thanks, l’ve just had some tea before l came out’.
Some biscuits tasted as they’d been in the biscuit tin for years... Oh and the stale homemade cakes with hairs in them.

Was l being ungrateful? Probably... but l was too young to die!

I would just ask for a glass of tap water, if pushed!

Oh and l wont go too deeply into having their dogs doing rude stuff to my leg whilst l was putting the rollers in their hair.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

03-05-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Primus, How could you eat the food or drink offered to you?
I learned my lesson when l used to do elderly ladies hair in their homes.
After having to drink some rank tea or eat sweets that had been held in their fist that was under their armpit, of folded arms, l realised it was best to say, ‘No thanks, l’ve just had some tea before l came out’.
Some biscuits tasted as they’d been in the biscuit tin for years... Oh and the stale homemade cakes with hairs in them.

Was l being ungrateful? Probably... but l was too young to die!

I would just ask for a glass of tap water, if pushed!
Having a slightly kosher kitchen were a bit sensitive about some things and so for tea we offer a tea bag and provide a boiling kettle so the workers can know what they're getting. Same with sweetener, Candrell or nowt. We don't use sugar. Also biscuits, we buy the packs of mini bars that are wrapped like KitKat's for ourselves and the Oakhouse fruzzed meals are sealed anyway (and also VERY good!)

It's only what we would feel comfortable eating in a stranger's house after all.

We're not frum by any means but both of our parents were quite observant and the customs associated with keeping a kosher kitchen are hard to just shake off. Especially where cleanliness is concerned.

We extend the same consideration to any guests who come into our home.

There's an old joke about a very frum Yiddle who dies and ends up in heaven where a party is being held. Along comes Big G and asks if the recent arrival would care for some food.
Not wishing to offend he replies "Thank you, may I just have an orange --- but I'll peel it myself if you don't mind!"

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top