Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 08:33 AM

Re: Personal Number Plates..

I have been involved with motor vehicles all of my adult life. I have driven lots of vehicles from mopeds to centurion tanks.
If I never have to drive another mile, I would be a happy bunny.
In my mind people that have personal number plates, they are saying, " look at me, I have flash motor with my plates. Big man or woman"
If that is what they want, then let them have it. Most of these personal plates mean nothing to me. I do try to interpretate as to their meaning, but in most cases I am lost.
Roxy. Why don't you just keep the plates on the car if you like the car so much that you want to own it.
It will not be personal to you so what? It only a vehicle registration number.
(I and I feel sure others would like to know what it is.)
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 10:58 AM

Morning All, Have just got off the phone with DVLA. I got right through....faint. Turns out I was right ,the previous owner should have had the car returned to it's original number plate before she sold it. As long as the garage has the proper Log Book to give me then the plate stays with the car. I'll be checking on that today. If she decides she wants the plate after all for her new car and I've already taxed and returned said Log Book back to DVLA then it's up to me if I let her have it or not.

Emjay.....The plate is nothing special, not to me anyway it's Nxx NAH.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2015, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Well, Speedy, each to his own.
But unless you live in a very small community, I'd reckon that "B3DOG" would convey absolutely nothing to 99% of people who saw your vehicle.
How on earth could it ?
You could be promoting Vitamin B3 shots for canines,
recommending the Barrier 3 dog in greyound racing,
sending some arcane message about the pop group Three Dog Night
or any one of a host of other things.

If your plate was recognized by the local community (all of them ?), so was your vehicle.
If it was genuinely intended to promote a business, ever think of a small removeable advertising sign - which would actually be comprehensible to 100% of people including your existing clients ?
And
have relevant info like contact details, location and services provided.
Probably at far less expense.

I trust that this plate-cost was not claimed as a business expense for tax purposes because I would consider that fraud.

As for the silly comments about Aussie hats, I have live here for some 70 years (including some time in the outback) and I have never seen one -
except perhaps in a few early comedy movies usually produced by Poms.
If they ever did exist, they would at least be practical and have purpose - not like stupid car-plates.

Phew, now I feel much better.
You have your opinions . I don't agree with a lot of what you wrote but you are entitled to them like I am with mine.

Oh the car and plate are registered to me and not my previous company so not tax deductable, but now worth lot more than I paid for it so an investment as well

just looked up
B3 TOG £1,600 , And Mine based on that a lot more which i was offered some years ago
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 08:42 AM

I have had a personal plate on my car since I bought it new in 2003. Am I concerned at the negativity on here? Have I let it worry me for 12 years?! Pfffft...have I heck!

It was a 50th birthday present to myself (and my parents contributed towards it), so it is VERY personal to me. And I shall transfer it over to a new car if I replace this present one. Which I may only do if I decide to upgrade to a bigger more powerful one, or one to see me through my retirement.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 03:35 PM

Just out of interest roxy, why did the DVLA say that she should returned the original number plates to the car? I thought that if the previous owner didn't want the private reg any more then they let it go with the car.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uff ->
Just out of interest roxy, why did the DVLA say that she should returned the original number plates to the car? I thought that if the previous owner didn't want the private reg any more then they let it go with the car.
That's what I was thinking, to have taxed and insured the car, the previous owner must have re-registered the car with the new personal plates, therefore they are now the official plates for that vehicle.

If the previous owners want the plates back after the car has been sold to a new owner they will have to buy them back, and pay all the changeover fees.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 06:39 PM

We have a personal number plate which came with out current car[5 years ago]. Wasn"t planned just happened . if we do change we will take it with us.
I have been led to believe that when a car is car is 25 years
old , there is no road tax to pay, and ours will be in 4 years .
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
We have a personal number plate which came with out current car[5 years ago]. Wasn"t planned just happened . if we do change we will take it with us.
I have been led to believe that when a car is car is 25 years
old , there is no road tax to pay, and ours will be in 4 years .
I think you will find that it has to be 40 years old before the road tax is free.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
I think you will find that it has to be 40 years old before the road tax is free.
Oh right, have been misled then.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top