Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 12:04 PM

Re: Swiss Army Knives

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Did the Swiss ever really use these - or is it just a marketing ploy?

They look really useful anyway - maybe I should have one.

Would it be classed as an 'offensive weapon' by our police?
Hi,

It's no marketing ploy.
The originals were called a soldier knife and later known as the Swiss Army Knife. They were indeed standard issue to the army, and still are (although the design is now different from the original).
The company that make them are Victorinox. One of the founding members was a lady called Victoria. The knives used stainless steel (also known as inox) - hence Victorinox.

It's legal to carry a knife providing that, the cutting edge of the blade does not exceed 3" and it cannot be locked in the open position.

Original 1891 SAK

Current issue SAK

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Do you have one?

I've had mine around 8 years and it looks brand new but I use it often. It's so handy for opening parcels, cutting off price tickets etc.

I just have a basic red one without the scissors. It has a blade, bottle opener/tin opener, corkscrew, tweezers and a toothpick which is still intact. It's amazing how long they last. I know someone with a Leatherman but, to me, they're ugly.
I have a couple; one that I have had for over 45 years with a serrated blade that I bought when I lived in the UK and a much newer one my daughter bought me about 20 years ago. I have carried a pocket knife since I was at school.

I also have a Victorinox multitool which my last wife gave me also a long time ago but frankly I have hardly used it however I always carry it in my bag when I travel. It seems better made than the Leatherman supplied by my last employer.

(Sorry the colour is a bit odd but it was taken by the light of my monitor which is in night mode)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6266.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	6644  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 12:29 PM

I couldn't find my old knife, it is probably in the back of a drawer somewhere but this is the one I carry with me now.

It has all the usual appliances including the device for getting boy scouts out of horses hooves as well as a pen, toothpick and tweezers (I doubt the pen still works after all these years.)

When I bought my first one in London the bloke that sold it to me said, "...don't test the blade with your thumb" which, of course, I did as soon as I got home and promptly cut my thumb - the cutting edges when new are like razor blades

Name:	IMG_6271.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	6645  
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 12:42 PM

These are a handy thing to have as well. The ceramic part is set for the correct factory cutting edge that they leave the factory with.

https://www.euro-knife.com/victorino...rpener-4.3323/
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 12:53 PM

I bought this Victorinox Sharpener for my Chef's Knives:

I have since used it for all my knives, including SAK, with excellent results .....
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

02-08-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I bought this Victorinox Sharpener for my Chef's Knives:

I have since used it for all my knives, including SAK, with excellent results .....
Don't you find it removes too much blade material?

I always find it's better to keep the edge on all mine "topped up" using a leather strop, rather than allow them to go blunt and then re-sharpen.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Don't you find it removes too much blade material?
Only if used frequently .....
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

02-08-2018, 01:53 PM

My favourite model is the "Farmer" - I have a couple of them.
This video shows just how tough they are.
I like this guys videos, he often takes his dog along with him on his adventures.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Hi,

It's no marketing ploy.
The originals were called a soldier knife and later known as the Swiss Army Knife. They were indeed standard issue to the army, and still are (although the design is now different from the original).
The company that make them are Victorinox. One of the founding members was a lady called Victoria. The knives used stainless steel (also known as inox) - hence Victorinox.

It's legal to carry a knife providing that, the cutting edge of the blade does not exceed 3" and it cannot be locked in the open position.

Original 1891 SAK

Current issue SAK

Thank you, Fender, I knew you would know!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

02-08-2018, 11:12 PM

I thought you might be interested in the hidden bits of the Victorinox tool.

Name:	180802 029 Victorinox Tools.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	6650   Click image for larger version

Name:	180802 027 Victorinox Tools.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	6651  

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top