Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 10:00 PM

Re: Guess the plant

Bring the pics on, both the hens and the plants, Paul. May I call you that?

BTW, forgot to say good luck with the tomatillos, never grew them. Are they self-pollenating ... they are in the greenhouse, aren't they?
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 10:09 PM

Please call me Paul. The tomatillos are in the greenhouse but it has been warm enough to leave them out (I haven't because the weather can change quickly). I don't know if they are self pollinating or not, I know I will be making loads of gardening errors. But I do learn quick and tend not to repeat mistakes.

I will be posting pics of the hens soon. I expect that they will look pretty poor at first because they are ex-battery but I hope over the months you will see their feathers grow back and them flourishing.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Yes of course-it`s so easy when one knows the answer-my excuse is that I have not grown them for a while.

Tomatillos grow like thugs-bloody enormous plants so if in a greenhose stake them well and prune with shears-none of this fiddling around taking out side shoots.

Raw on their own they taste a bit odd but once into a salsa -yum
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2010, 08:11 PM

I've never made - nor tried - salsa. Read a article recently that it has now passed ketchup as the most popular condiment here in the States. What do you use it on?
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2010, 02:33 PM

It can be eaten with anything and recipes vary. It comes from Mexico but is now popular in many places.

Google for a few variations-think hot and a little sour tempered with fresh coriander(Cilantro to you)-or not so hot if you do not like chillies
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

24-05-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
It can be eaten with anything and recipes vary. It comes from Mexico but is now popular in many places.

Google for a few variations-think hot and a little sour tempered with fresh coriander(Cilantro to you)-or not so hot if you do not like chillies
I love chilis, have grown my own hot ones for years; also love cilantro; I do a lot of Asian cooking where both are important ingredients. Have you ever made Dan Dan noodles ... lots of cilantro there!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

24-05-2010, 05:16 PM

Can`t say I have made Dan Dan noodles-as I type this I`m taken back to my youngest years when there was just a bucket.

At about 4/5 we used to sing Dan Dan the lavatory man.

How odd to go from cooking to one`s earliest memories
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

24-05-2010, 08:36 PM

The brain does make odd connections, doesn't it; but of course you know that.

Never heard that song...lyrics?

Dan Dan noodles is a cold spicy dish with crushed peanuts, cilantro and other goodies: sort of thing you would get from Chinese street food vendors; good light meal on a hot night. The Chinese restaurant I ate in for years while working didn't have it on the menu (peasant food), but would fix it if you were a regular and asked! Yummy! I learned to make it myself.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->

At about 4/5 we used to sing Dan Dan the lavatory man.

How odd to go from cooking to one`s earliest memories
I remember that from the school playground, too!
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2010, 03:51 PM

I thought it was a pansy. Just shows you how expert I am.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top