Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 06:42 PM

Re: How would you like to build this?

Originally Posted by lowfiron ->
After looking at the video, this was "manufactured". It was a shop project with parts that were outsourced and manufactured. Look and the wheels, cables, hinges, lock sets, -all the hardware, the veneers came from a mill. This desk- secretary is a product of the early industrial revolution. It was hand fabricated in a furniture shop for sure, by skilled craftsmen and their apprentices, but it was a team effort. There was a designer and a shop foreman- owner.
So get rid of the idea that one or two people put this together by themselves and made every part. Even some features might have been sub assemblies coming from different shops.
I think you are being a little churlish there Ron, I'm not sure how that detracts from the absolute fantabunessosity of the cabinet as, if it took a hundred craftsmen and twenty factories it would still be just as amazing a bit of craftsmanship to me.....
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Churlish? No. Just saying.
Renaissance artists had shops with apprentices and assistants. They had production values, some of their assistants were or became masters themselves.
So the cabinet maker was a master directing assistants and apprentices. The difference would be different parts would be done by different shops and manufacturers.
One big difference in my view is the cabinet maker was part of the industrial revolution or at least using parts that come from industry.
Churlish?.. maybe pedantic. Whatever, pardon me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2014, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Michael ->
How would you like to build this?

Wow! The thought and craftsmanship that went into the building of this masterpiece.

And to think the guy who made this over two hundred years ago did it with hand tools alone.

Click here,
Amazing Antique Desk
http://tinyurl.com/oz6yta8

Thank gawd for Makita!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top