Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2017, 06:55 PM

Re: Well I've made a start on dog adoption

Well its been 5 days since I emailed them. I know its the holiday time but they were so insistent they needed adopters to contact them. If I wasn't good enough to adopt I would rather they let me know. Maybe their very busy but this is the second time I've contacted a greyhound adoption place and not got a reply. Maybe I'm just better looking on Gumtree. No rush anyway as the garden fence to be fixed first.

I've got lots to think of anyway, food and water bowls, a harness so its safe in the car, a proper collar and id disc, plus a harness and lead and bad weather warm coat.
I will need to get myself a decent coat and trousers for walks for when its raining or snowing as all I've got at the moment is a flimsy jacket. Oh yes, sort out about pooper bags as well.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2017, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Sensibly, Carol.

I hope you find what you're looking for Jazzi.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2017, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Well its been 5 days since I emailed them. I know its the holiday time but they were so insistent they needed adopters to contact them. If I wasn't good enough to adopt I would rather they let me know. Maybe their very busy but this is the second time I've contacted a greyhound adoption place and not got a reply. Maybe I'm just better looking on Gumtree. No rush anyway as the garden fence to be fixed first.

I've got lots to think of anyway, food and water bowls, a harness so its safe in the car, a proper collar and id disc, plus a harness and lead and bad weather warm coat.
I will need to get myself a decent coat and trousers for walks for when its raining or snowing as all I've got at the moment is a flimsy jacket. Oh yes, sort out about pooper bags as well.
I'd love another dog. I've said it umpteen times. I miss not having one.

One of the things stopping me from having a dog is the vet's bills. Hope you're factoring in a mortgage for that too MC
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2017, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->

One of the things stopping me from having a dog is the vet's bills. Hope you're factoring in a mortgage for that too MC
Yes, I've been looking at the vets just round the corner who do a thing called the healthcare club where you pay a monthly d,debit and also get discounts off treatments.

http://ashtreevets.co.uk/healthcare-club
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 09:22 AM

When I took on my rescue dog three years ago I decided that this time I would not have pet insurance. With my old Lab, towards the end of her life I was paying over £100 per month (Sainsburys insurance). Most treatments she had either came in a pound or two under the threshold, meaning I could not claim, or were not covered, like dental extractions etc.

Since having Gypsy I have been fortunate in that not once have I had to take her to the vet. I have a Liability insurance with the Dogs Trust, should she cause an accident to others. Flea Treatment I buy on line and I do not have her vaccinated, as I believe dogs are over treated being given jabs every year.

Should she need vet treatment then I have a contingency budget from the money saved, not paid to some insurance conglomerate.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->

I should try not to worry too much yet MC, as you say, it is probably because of the bank holiday.

If you don't mind me saying, I wouldn't buy any equipment for your new friend at the moment, bit premature.

Until you know the size dog you might have, you don't know what size bowls to buy, or harness size, and he/she might have a thick coat and wouldn't need a winter coat at all - unless you are adamant you only want a greyhound of course.

Could you try a couple more places as well, just incase you don't hear back from these people?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->

Ive said it before but ,,,is fostering an idea?

My neighbours do it and they have had some great dogs , she is able to say what size of dog she can cope with and she doesnt take any on if her husband isnt well.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/findapet/foster
Mondays child
United Kingdom

29-08-2017, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Ive said it before but ,,,is fostering an idea?

My neighbours do it and they have had some great dogs , she is able to say what size of dog she can cope with and she doesnt take any on if her husband isnt well.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/findapet/foster
The problem for me would be saying goodbye at the end of the foster. I get too attached.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 09:11 AM

MC, I agree with you about becoming too attached, I could not foster.

When I took on Cinders, my beloved Lab, her owners were in the military and posted abroad, they asked me if I would foster her for two years until they returned, but I said that there was no way I could contemplate that. So it was agreed that I take her and should a problem arise when I could no longer care for her, then I promised that I would contact them immediately.

I had her for ten years and lost her at the age of 13, a more beautiful natured dog I have never met, and she gave me years of happiness.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top