Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 07:29 AM

Re: I've started drawing again!

I have one unfinished of a woodpecker, and had thoughts of a larger one of a barn owl, but my hands and fingers are in a bad way now and i havent drawn anything since last year.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 07:37 AM

I think drawing and painting again may help mine, I get so engrossed in it I forget about pain. I can't do details very well. I was knitting and crocheting a lot, then gave up which didn't help.
Try to keep at it Nom.
I'm taking photos as I go to help see how it's working out, for some reason looking at a photo shows up the faults better!
Something else that will help, look at the subject you're drawing or painting for a while from different angles if it's a 3d object to see how it's constructed.
Look at the paper or canvas then the object and back again several times. Then imagine the picture is already on the paper and you're revealing it! Sounds odd but it works for me!
Also look at negative shapes, ie. Shapes between limbs etc. if you get them right you're doing ok.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 08:13 AM

It's also important to draw for drawing's sake
(in any medium)
Don't get hung up on accuracy all of the time
Use warm up techniques
Draw with a continuous line
Draw with your eyes closed
Draw with your other hand
Draw expressively
Draw for 2 minutes from one viewpoint then move and repeat
Draw on newspaper with biro
Write about it.. just words nsybe,before during and afterwards
It all helps.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 08:37 AM

Yep, good points there Rhian!
Not every piece of art is worth keeping, loads end up in the bin too!
I started off thinking everything had to be perfect, my recycle bin was full up with over a hundred life drawings one week when I decided I only needed to keep the good ones. Had to tear them up very finely or they would have caused a kerfuffle with the recycle team!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 08:50 AM

Hi

Rhian, there are those of us who have no artistic capability at all.

I have trouble drawing a straight line with a ruler, that is not a joke, I have no artistic ability, my brothers and sisters have, one was a member of the National Youth Orchestra, both my parents had fantastic Musical Ability.

One of my sisters is a phenomenal artist, my mother was a Concert Pianist.

To each their own, I cannot play any musical instrument, the highest I ever got in Music was 6%, in Art, 11%.

I can do Differential Calculus in my head.

Quantum Physics is a doddle, however I cannot find my car keys.

I have my uses, not a jealous man, but so wish that I was so much better at spreading joy and happiness in the world through Music and Art.

If push came to shove, I am the man, but in reality, how often does that happen?

It doesn't, far, far better to be like you, Azure, Nom and others spreading the simple, beautiful things in life.

The world would be a better place with more of you and less of me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I keep visual journals
I like the idea of a visual journal and wish I had started one when I was young. I love those ones that turn up on antique programmes that illustrate a person's experiences.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

05-05-2016, 09:57 AM

It's a good job we all have different skills or the World would come to a standstill! Some people create the ideas for others to make!
My maths is rubbish, I used to doodle on the page at school! Music was too mathematical for me, my mum and sister's could play piano. I wish I could!
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 11:39 AM

That's nice Tess
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It's a good job we all have different skills or the World would come to a standstill! Some people create the ideas for others to make!
My maths is rubbish, I used to doodle on the page at school! Music was too mathematical for me, my mum and sister's could play piano. I wish I could!
Maths & Art don't mix. Ask anyone who is artistic if they are good at maths and they will say No.
(Someone will prove me wrong)
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

05-05-2016, 12:55 PM

Yep! My first wasband was a design draughtsman, very good at maths and of course technical drawing but also a fabulous artist. He could remember a scene and go home and paint it. Sells lots of his art, rubbish at people though! ( both artistically and socially / relationship -wise)

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top