Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2017, 09:34 PM

Re: Are You Comfortable?

Why should living in a council property be looked down on ? Many council tenants I know care for their homes just as much as those privately owned,It is not so easy to get benefit or a council property as people think,Council tenants will always be paying rent,unlike buying when the mortgage is finished ,they cannot pass the property on to theirchildren, Tenants in this area have to decorate their homes & keep their garden nice themselves, any damage done by them must be repaired by them . To claim benefits you have to be under a certain income ,not just savings, you have to prove ,re bank /pension statements etc., that you only have this income/savings,those of working age must prove ,by regular visits to job centres that they are looking /applying for a job,or no benefit, long term sickness has to be assessed by a medical team of the benefit agency ,who make it as hard as they can to disprove a person is as sick as claimed
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2017, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
This regime has nothing to do with my comfort, I bought this chair myself.
You are a mad bugger UJ
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2017, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's not really a waste if they are enjoying life while they can. I think it's scandalous that people have to pay for care with their house, when those who have spent everything don't. The system is unfair to the old and getting unfairer every year.
That is true Annie

The system is unfair
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2017, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Why should living in a council property be looked down on ? Many council tenants I know care for their homes just as much as those privately owned,It is not so easy to get benefit or a council property as people think,Council tenants will always be paying rent,unlike buying when the mortgage is finished ,they cannot pass the property on to theirchildren, Tenants in this area have to decorate their homes & keep their garden nice themselves, any damage done by them must be repaired by them . To claim benefits you have to be under a certain income ,not just savings, you have to prove ,re bank /pension statements etc., that you only have this income/savings,those of working age must prove ,by regular visits to job centres that they are looking /applying for a job,or no benefit, long term sickness has to be assessed by a medical team of the benefit agency ,who make it as hard as they can to disprove a person is as sick as claimed
Some Council tenants do look after their property and keep them on good order, Others do not, and expect th Council to do all decorating and repairs
Applcants are means tested and savings limmit is £16,000.
if you have more you do not qualify'

Also prority is gives to the sick and disabled, and families with children and to Immiigrants with families, who jump the queue which seems unfair.

There is lso sheltered accommadation for pensioners as well
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

09-02-2017, 11:00 PM

The couple in qustion are now retirement age and have the financial means to buy a small property, which is a good idea as this will increase in value.

They could also have an annexe built on their daughter's home, but would rather be independant.

Because they see neighbours who have not worked for years in receipt of many benifits, this has made them feel that you are better off spending all you savings and having the limmit only of £16,000. They still have considerably more than this amount Their only daughter has been provided for.

In the South Glos area, priority is given to the sick, and disabled, and families with children and now Immigrants with Children jump the queue.

You can choose the location but will have a longer wait.

There is alo Warden Controlled Accomodation as well, usually in pleasant Villages.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2017, 11:05 PM

One can only be comfortable in the moment, who knows what may happen.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 01:03 PM

We are comfortable as long as we don't go mad with our money. My husband has put his foot down about me buying another new car, I have bought one every year for the last 4 years and given the previous one to whichever of our kids would like it. However, he thinks we should buy a bungalow that is for sale nearby and rent it out. I am not keen on that idea at all. When we have owned several houses in the past we found the tenants a pain in the neck. I would only consider buying it if we just kept it as a holiday home for family and friends.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 03:36 PM

Or you could not buy it and let someone who needs it have it!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Or you could not buy it and let someone who needs it have it!
As it has been on the market for quite a while, people obviously don't need it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top