Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:30 PM

Re: Why do people believe in gods?

Originally Posted by moreover ->
Most educated people don't. They use it as an excuse to justify what they want to do.
do you have proof of this or is it just a wild, sweeping statement?

I cannot believe it's an educated guess.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
We do not need a religion to provide us with a set of rules and anyway the 'rules' and man's interpretation of them vary from one religion to another .

As humans we have the ability to make ethical decisions based on empathy, reason, a concern for our fellow man and other sentient animals. Not everyone needs 'a book of rules' to do this it comes naturally
Of course religions differ and so do the rules surrounding those religious beliefs.

Look at the laws in different countries and compare them to that of societies religious beliefs.

Before religions set down their rules there were no laws, so murder didn't exist nor did any other laws regarding the treatment of your fellow man.

Thank goodness these rules/laws have been tweeked over the centuries but none the less society still lives by those basic religious rules.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Of course religions differ and so do the rules surrounding those religious beliefs.

Look at the laws in different countries and compare them to that of societies religious beliefs.

Before religions set down their rules there were no laws, so murder didn't exist nor did any other laws regarding the treatment of your fellow man.

Thank goodness these rules/laws have been tweeked over the centuries but none the less society still lives by those basic religious rules.
I am sure murder existed before religion with some cave men bashing each other over the head to obtain food.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:44 PM

How do we know there were no laws before religions set down their rules or that murder didn't exist?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
How do we know there were no laws before religions set down their rules or that murder didn't exist?
Exactly so.
I think the organised religions we know of are a comparatively recent thing. Primitive people had their 'gods' like the sun and the moon but not necessarily a rule book maybe laws for self preservation and we are aware from archaeological remains that people killed each other long before currently recognised religions arrived.

430,000-Year-Old Murder Victim Discovered Time of Death: 430,000 B.C., give or take a few thousand years.
http://www.livescience.com/50991-old...tim-found.html
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->

Sorry - I do not accept this. You can prove this?

What about religious laws that condone murder? What about acts of murder in the bible, are they ok?

In some religions, these rules/laws are still being used - we call them "atrocities".
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

12-02-2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am sure murder existed before religion with some cave men bashing each other over the head to obtain food.
That wasn't murder, it was nature.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 07:08 PM

I think that Tpin was referring to 'murder' not existing inasmuch as 'murder' was not a definition in use in those early days, any more that one animal killing another (either for food or through fear) can be defined as murder.

Back to the discussion and I think there are some very good reasons given above for a belief in a god.

I'd like to add that when someone close to you dies it is very natural (in my opinion) to believe that they haven't gone for ever and that we shall meet them again one day, presumably in a place called 'heaven'. Thus, belief in an afterlife, which could naturally include some sort of a 'god' to run the place, is perfectly understandable.

Not that I believe any of that claptrap, though!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

12-02-2016, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
Sorry - I do not accept this. You can prove this?

What about religious laws that condone murder? What about acts of murder in the bible, are they ok?

In some religions, these rules/laws are still being used - we call them "atrocities".
In those countries they are acceptable, because their religion says so, it's the law.

Your arguement is actually in agreement with my statement.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 07:22 PM

I do not believe in chance. That the universe exist with such order and laws by a simple draw of the cards. Most obvious for me that there is a greater force is the miracle of birth and how the human body functions

The bible causes great confusion and its easy to see why some define the bible as a fairytale. Yet, one must not be so blind as to not see the perfection of the universe and that this obvious perfection
was not caused by chance

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top