Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 09:43 PM

Re: Childhood House

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I'd have to cross the Atlantic to revisit childhood homes, and I have no desire to do that ever again unless to go back to Canada.
Clumsy, I'm also gobsmacked at the price given that the rooms are pretty tiny. Guess Bakewell is a property hotspot!
Were you born in Canada?
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Our family home in Ireland was turned into a luxury hotel, then a care home, and now it is up for auction - but not at any price I could afford!

The baby on Nanny's knee is my brother.
Wow, that is a huge house! I grew up in a semi detached with a front yard & backyard. We had the usual basement, then main floor, & upstairs with 3 bedrooms in the suburbs.
My parents paid $16,900 in late 1967 & sold it for $168,000around the year 2000. They could've gotten a little more but they wanted to move to a bungalow.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
If you ever walked into Chatsworth Park you would certainly have passed it Meg. Did you go gliding in Foolow?
....no I have watched the gliders though...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Would you want to revisit your childhood home, if it was even still standing, that is?
A couple of years ago I visited all the places I lived when I was in the UK. This one is in Undercliffe Avenue situated on Leckhampton Hill in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

The exterior of the bungalow has changed little since the 1940s but there has obviously been a loft extension. Where the garbage bin is situated was a sand pit for my brother and I to play. The gardens were less cultivated being mostly lawn as far as I can remember, the garden to the rear was much bigger and we kept rabbits and chooks for our Sunday meal. I lived there from when I was about 6 months old until I was five, before that we lived with my grandparents in Ewlyn Road much further down the hill off Leckhamton Rd.

When I lived there the row of houses was the last and opposite was a paddock in which was a horse called 'Dolly' (absurd the things you do remember), now it is all houses. It was a gravel road in those days and at the end was a stile leading to an area called 'Daisy Bank' where there were a range of gentle slopes where I used to go tobogganing in winter. The stile is still there.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 06:35 AM

That looks lovely, Bruce.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 06:51 AM

When we came to live in York we were in rented premises almost opposite the Minster. It was a genuine 'Tudor' house - all wattle and daub walls and oak beams inside - the outside had been rendered. There was no electricity above the second floor and no two rooms were on the same level - there were steps up or down into each of them. We children loved it as it was 'different' and had lots of ideal hide and seek places, Dad was ambivalent as he spent most of his time in his workshop - but mother hated it! We left there when I was about 12 yrs old. Went back for a look around a couple of years ago - it has been tastefully modernized and is used as a holiday let. It seemed much smaller - but just as interesting
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Were you born in Canada?
No, AC, born in the UK but spent my early childhood in the US and had many summer holidays camping in Ontario and Quebec.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Boltown Hall - near Kells.

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/p...-25964326.html

My picture was taken a long time ago - my brother was born in 1937.
Thanks, ST. Sounds fabulous!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 09:56 AM

I lived in an old house in a suburb of London. We used to put our hands through the letterbox to grab a bit of string with the key attached to get in through a huge garage. I remember Dad keeping chickens there and the cockerel used to chase me.
I looked on Street Map last night to see if it is still there, but sadly it looks as if they have built flats all over the old house and patch of land. I felt quite sad, but I've still got my memories of how it used to be.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

23-07-2014, 10:20 AM

Isn't it strange though how two people can have different perceptions of the same place? My paternal grandfather lived in Skegness in a rambling 4 bedroom house. The long summer holidays from school alternated between Ireland and Skegness. Grandfather left his house jointly to my brother and I (our younger sister had died) and I would have loved to live there as I had such happy memories of time spent there and was, therefore, amazed when my brother announced that he had always hated the place!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top