Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2013, 04:21 PM

Re: Great Expectations

Originally Posted by Bluebell ->
Aerolor - yes, I am hoping to go out to New Zealand to visit her once she is settled. As I'm still working I will only be able to do that at most once a year, so deliberating when is the best time to do that.
Of course I will send her with my blessing, and never let her know how sad I feel.
And I try to tell myself that I am actually very lucky, in that she is healthy and independant. I do appreciate that many parents would love to be in that position.
Lorna darlin' since Australia and New Zealand are arse-about-face with their seasons in comparison with us, if you go visit your daughter this time next year (in the winter) when it is Summer over there, you'll be getting a lot of extra sunshine. Furthermore a couple of weeks spent in Milan (at La Scala) to refresh your musical soul will be good too.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2013, 12:15 PM

I only have one son but I rarely see him. He only ever wanted to be a soldier and he gained a guaranteed place due to being in army cadets from the age of 10 (he lied about his age and said he was 12). He won many awards in cadets, including "cadet of the year" and went into the regular army when he was old enough. Unfortunately he got badly injured in NI, spent almost a year in hospital and left the army around 4 years later as he didn't want to be a "desk soldier". He now drives a big mobile studio all over europe bringing you all your Sky sports, which is why seeing much of him is so difficult these days, he's always away. He loves this job and is being trained as a camera man too. His first marriage ended in divorce, he has one son who he adores and has him as often as possible but although my one and only grandson is now 11 years old he hasn't been to visit us since he was 3 and never even says thank you for the presents and money we send for birthdays and Christmas, when pressured by my son, or his mother, who is a barrister, he might just put "thank you for my money" on facebook. To be honest I've given up bothering. My grandson is also a keen footballer and plays for Oxford junior league (at least I think that's what it's called). If he is still as good and as interested when he's 15 the football club will take over his education and training as a professional footballer, but a lot of water will flow under the bridge between now and then. As others have said, Skype and facebook are good for communication, although I am very very careful re facebook and mostly use the private message system there if needs be.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 03:22 PM

I wouldn't bother sending money and presents if you never get a thank you. He doesn't deserve them.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 03:45 PM

I stopped sending my nephews birthday presents as I never got a thank you, or even an acknowledgement of presents/cards arriving. I was in two minds, as I blame my sister for not instilling those manners in them, so it's not really their fault. But as they live in New Zealand and I never see them I'm not really part of their lives now.
Bluebell
Berkshire, UK
Bluebell is female  Bluebell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2013, 12:26 AM

Talking of nieces and nephews, i really regret not agreeing with my brother when we were all starting to have kids the age at which we would stop giving them presents. I have 4 nieces and nephews aged 22-30 and it feels like every year one or other brother reopens the discussion about presents - do we exchange gifts ourselves, do we give to the kids only? I feel like Scrooge, but I really can't see the point of trying to find suitable presents for these young adults that I barely know.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top