Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 09:17 PM

Re: Live, love, shine

Karen, if someone told that fish about birds and that fish had the power of intelligent reasoning it would come to the conclusion that a bird was perfectly feasible. People have told me about God but my (personal) intelligence tells me that the idea of an omnipotent being just does not make sense.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 09:32 PM

I have to laugh at how important we think we are in the great scheme of things. I accept there are things we will never understand, maybe our minds are not capable of understanding, not enough memory or storage there, who do we think we are anyway? the it and all of the universe, that everything has to make sense to US!, everything we don't understand doesn't exist because it doesn't make sense to us, mere puny grains of sand in the big picture.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 09:57 PM

Well said Jem.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 10:08 PM

That is very defeatist Jem. We KNOW that we are the most intelligent beings in the universe (that we are aware of) and it is only right and proper that we should try to make sense of the world about us. We are quite aware that there's a long way to go and that we probably will never understand it all but that's no reason to stop trying. Small and insignificant we may be but the acheivements of mankind to date are something to be proud of and there's much more yet to come.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 10:31 PM

Yes we have come a long way since the cave dwelling days Alan. but we have a cheek to think of ourselves, living on one of the most insignificant planets in the Universe, and we are completely invisible from half a mile up, to think we are above all other creatures that are and maybe in the whole system, who knows perhaps the whales in the ocean know more about it than we do, after all they've been around longer than us, maybe they know their place and just get on with living, we have no way of understanding the thinking of other creatures on this planet. by all means continue to probe and search, but don't be disappointed when they come to a dead end. The 'Big Bang' theory is shot down now and it's back to the drawing board, I never put much faith in what these government scientists come up with anyway.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Recently watched the intro to Carl Sagan's "Cosmos". Beautiful. Puts you in your place indeed.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Karen, if someone told that fish about birds and that fish had the power of intelligent reasoning it would come to the conclusion that a bird was perfectly feasible. People have told me about God but my (personal) intelligence tells me that the idea of an omnipotent being just does not make sense.
Not really Alan - the world of the fish is about life that depends on being in the water - out of the water means certain death. Couple with that something that's covered in feathers instead of scales, eats earth worms (what the heck are earth worms I hear the fish ask) and can fly through the air - the fish would think you are a crackpot! How could all those things exist - look around (in the ocean depths remember) and point to what proof you have of birds that the fish can see ...

As I have said before, a deity needn't necessarily be omnipotent - it just needed to have existed (or exist) at some point in time.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2013, 12:05 PM

I didn't know the Big Bang Theory has fallen apart - what happened?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Not really Alan - the world of the fish is about life that depends on being in the water - out of the water means certain death. Couple with that something that's covered in feathers instead of scales, eats earth worms (what the heck are earth worms I hear the fish ask) and can fly through the air - the fish would think you are a crackpot! How could all those things exist - look around (in the ocean depths remember) and point to what proof you have of birds that the fish can see ...

As I have said before, a deity needn't necessarily be omnipotent - it just needed to have existed (or exist) at some point in time.
Some fish don't have to be in the water ben-varrey. What about the mud skipper and the lung fish? Fish also eat earthworms so they must know they exist and are food. I think that fish also know what birds are - they are a threat and will evade the bird's attempts to catch them.

I'll try and put up a clip about mud skippers - incredible little creatures they are.

I am not sure about deities having to exised at some point in time either. Here is the definition of deity and also examples of some deities.

Noun 1. deity - any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force

Divinity, god, immortal
Pantheon - all the gods of a religion
Spiritual being, supernatural being - an incorporeal being believed to have powers to affect the course of human events
Daemon, demigod - a person who is part mortal and part god
Sea god - a deity that personifies the sea and is usually believed to live in or to control the sea
Sun God - a god that personifies the sun or is otherwise associated with the sun
Celtic deity - a deity worshipped by the Celts
Egyptian deity - a deity worshipped by the ancient Egyptians
Semitic deity - a deity worshipped by the ancient Semites
Hindu deity - a deity worshipped by the Hindus
Persian deity - a deity worshiped by the ancient Persians
Chinese deity - a deity worshipped by the ancient Chinese
Japanese deity - a deity worshipped by the Japanese
Goddess - a female deity
Earth god, earth-god - a god of fertility and vegetation
demiurge - a subordinate deity, in some philosophies the creator of the universe
Graeco-Roman deity, Greco-Roman deity - a deity of classical mythology
Greek deity - a deity worshipped by the ancient Greeks
Roman deity - a deity worshipped by the ancient Romans
Norse deity - a deity worshipped by the ancient Norsemen
Teutonic deity - (German mythology) a deity worshipped by the ancient Teutons
Anglo-Saxon deity - (Anglo-Saxon mythology) a deity worshipped by the Anglo-Saxons
Phrygian deity - deity of the ancient Phrygians of west central Asia Minor
Saint - a person who has died and has been declared a saint by canonization (This is one which has existed)
God of war, war god - a god worshipped as giving victory in war
Snake god, Zombi, - a god of voodoo cults of African origin worshipped especially in West Indies
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2013, 12:51 PM

Look at this amazing little creature. Sorry I have let the thread go a bit of track, but I think this is worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KurTiX4FDuQ

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top