Join for free
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2013, 12:31 PM

Re: Opt in, or opt out????

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
And no one is saying you would be forced you could simply opt out, carry a card or whatever saying no. All of us who wish to donate have to carry a card saying opt in at the moment all this is saying is the people who object (a fewer number I believe than would opt in) have to carry a card saying so.
The problem with card carrying is that not everyone carries stuff around with them - when I'm out and about, I don't take a handbag (in fact, rarely use them) and often have no pockets in my clothes to put said card. If you are involved in an accident, and your bag went missing (my husband's briefcase was lost by hospital staff over 5 months ago and they still haven't managed to find it) - what then? If they assumed someone had agreed because they didn't have the card with them and then found out later that the person strongly objected and their opt-out card had been left behind at the scene of an accident, all hell would break loose. Bear in mind that some bits of you need to you to still be living when they're taken and given the god-like status some hospital staff give themselves, I wouldn't trust them not to decide someone else needed your bit more than you do.

My family are aware of my wishes so the hospital would have to continue down the usual path of contacting my family before they do anything.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It's hard to say what anyone would do in a given set of circumstances, sometimes circumstance happens beyond an individuals control, lets say for example someone has never donated blood, for whatever reason, fear, ethics?, and by the same token (in clear thought) does not expect to receive such fluid, lets then assume the said individual is involved in an accident, and is unconscious, and a transfusion is necessary to preserve life, what would the individuals stance then be, once fully conscious again, having been an unwitting beneficiary?.
From a personal point of view, I don't mind blood transfusions because it doesn't require the donor to be dead or near death for them to donate. Some of us can't give blood (I've had thrombosis and cancer so that ruled me out being a blood donor as I found out at the time I turned up to donate). This is why I say that it should be family members or, in absence of family, close friends who would know your wishes. Much more reliable and both sides would be happy.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2013, 12:36 PM

Thats probably the answer BV - the family should know about the card and inform the hospital ...
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

03-07-2013, 12:41 PM

I think it's safer all round - if someone hasn't discussed it with their family or close friends, then it could be assumed it would be safe to proceed whichever way was thought necessary as they hadn't expressed strong feelings one way or the other.

This assumption of 'they' can do what they like with your body just irks me - it's one more bit of control if the bit of paper isn't handy at the time it's needed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2013, 12:47 PM

You are assuming everyone who wants to donate carries a handbag LOL why should it be the donor who has to remember each time ?

Also assuming family agree with your wishes, personally I very much see my body as mine and wouldn't want my family to have a say in what happens to it, much as I love them I know two of them who would say no.

Also sometimes these decisions have to be made really quickly I believe once death occurs you have a slim window of time in which to take the organs. If they have to search for each persons family everytime we will lose many potential life saving donations.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I think it's safer all round - if someone hasn't discussed it with their family or close friends, then it could be assumed it would be safe to proceed whichever way was thought necessary as they hadn't expressed strong feelings one way or the other.

This assumption of 'they' can do what they like with your body just irks me - it's one more bit of control if the bit of paper isn't handy at the time it's needed.
This is about doing what you want with your own body, if you feel strongly then refuse donation just as we have to opt in now.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

03-07-2013, 12:52 PM

You are assuming everyone who wants to donate carries a handbag LOL why should it be the donor who has to remember each time ?
I'm pretty sure I mentioned pockets as well

Also assuming family agree with your wishes, personally I very much see my body as mine and wouldn't want my family to have a say in what happens to it, much as I love them I know two of them who would say no.
The role of your family is to convey your wishes, not their own. I have it in my Will as well as informing my family.

Also sometimes these decisions have to be made really quickly I believe once death occurs you have a slim window of time in which to take the organs. If they have to search for each persons family everytime we will lose many potential life saving donations.
As I've already said, some organs (eyes, for example) need you to still be living when they're taken - after you're dead, your eyes can't be used.

It is better to search for someone's family rather than assume it is okay - it may be very much not okay. I'm sure there will be some religions that that policy would be against their beliefs. Then there are those who will sue the hospital if organs are removed without consent.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

03-07-2013, 12:52 PM

This is about doing what you want with your own body, if you feel strongly then refuse donation just as we have to opt in now.
I already have.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-07-2013, 12:54 PM

And they can opt out pretty sure if it opt out you will be able to do so with GP or NHS and not have to carry a card.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

03-07-2013, 01:01 PM

And they can opt out pretty sure if it opt out you will be able to do so with GP or NHS and not have to carry a card.
And what about people who can't make up their minds? You'd just hack away at them regardless? Assume that because they couldn't decide on something before the critical moment, it removes their right to be left in one piece?

As I've said, to many people it is distasteful to pick over someone's body to see what can be salvaged.

Given the constant moaning of too many people on the planet, I'm surprised this is still even an acceptable thing to contemplate. It's not even as though every transplant is a success - the host body often rejects the organ (even after you've been pumped full of chemicals to convince your body to accept it). If people want to opt in, that's fine; if people have chosen not to register to donation - that should be respected.

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top