Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 07:19 AM

Re: On Yer Bike

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I will go along with that Gordon, also we have more younger drivers on the road than we did in our day, people couldn't afford cars till later in life.
But I feel the respect for other road users, has changed somewhat, I have tried to cross our road, getting to the middle and cars/lorries etc. tearing by, then you stand there till a decent driver slows up giving you a flash of lights so you may cross.
I have stopped traffic to help some frail folks across, and they say deaths on the road are falling.
I indeed flash lights for people to cross, but am aware if I had done so on my driving test, I would have failed immediately, the thinking being that you are encouraging people to take action (crossing) on the pretext that you have full vision of road conditions, this may not be the case.
When in direct employ, my work was 8.5 miles away on the outskirts of a city, driving in rush hour traffic took 40 mins (so did the bus), on the days I chose to cycle, it took 35 mins, the first mile and a bit was through a country park, the next mile and a half in a lane parallel to the main road, the final 5 miles or so on a canal tow path (mostly rural), that's the beauty of cycling, to some degree you can mitigate the risk.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 07:24 AM

Look out for that barge Paul, sounds nice until it rains, and we get more of that than most countries.
Must admit I fancied it, but half an hour on my new bike was enough for me.
Want to buy a good bike?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 07:36 AM

Hello Arthur, it's ironic, as a lad my bicycle was my life line, it allowed me to escape the rigors of an housing estate, and explore the villages and countryside just outside the city, with all the stuff going on with fuel cost and availability, my last journey may be self propelled on two wheels.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Hello Arthur, it's ironic, as a lad my bicycle was my life line, it allowed me to escape the rigors of an housing estate, and explore the villages and countryside just outside the city, with all the stuff going on with fuel cost and availability, my last journey may be self propelled on two wheels.
Sixty odd years ago it was my mode of transport, I cycled all over the country, head down and off on my Dawes bike.
Been all over the country, we used to go on holiday, sending our luggage by rail, and picking it up when we got there.
They were great days and they do bring back some fond memories.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yep, sounds good. Have a nice pub supper on the way back.
Ooh, now your talking my kind of language
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
We'll have to talk Uncle Joe into getting a second chair and we'll pinch both - then off we go for a leisurely bike ride

You leave my chair alone Karen darlin' it's not going anywhere!!!
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
You leave my chair alone Karen darlin' it's not going anywhere!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top