Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 03:42 PM

Re: Meaningfull Conversation

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The first Forum I joined (four years ago) soon taught me that, long distance typing in open format is not the place for meaningful debate really, when I've visited forums of special interest groups, all though they are supposed to be like minded, the same bickering breaks out between members, it maybe time to engage voices again.
It may be easier to be nasty when a person is anonymous.. hence the bickering..

Let's face it.. Social/discussion forums are hardly formal debate sites. Personalities and personal experiences are always interjected and certain personalities can rub other personalities the wrong way. Plus written word can almost always be misinterpreted depending on phrasing and even punctuation.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
It may be easier to be nasty when a person is anonymous.. hence the bickering..

Let's face it.. Social/discussion forums are hardly formal debate sites. Personalities and personal experiences are always interjected and certain personalities can rub other personalities the wrong way. Plus written word can almost always be misinterpreted depending on phrasing and even punctuation.
That's very true, Audrey, and a potential problem on all internet sites. No smileys can convey real expression when compared to observed facial expression, vocal intonation etc. Is it any wonder that teenagers get so upset by perceived internet animosity? Bickering online among adults reads unpleasantly enough, but if you were a teenager lacking in self-confidence I can imagine it would be devastating.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
That's very true, Audrey, and a potential problem on all internet sites. No smileys can convey real expression when compared to observed facial expression, vocal intonation etc. Is it any wonder that teenagers get so upset by perceived internet animosity? Bickering online among adults reads unpleasantly enough, but if you were a teenager lacking in self-confidence I can imagine it would be devastating.
Yes that's so true and it can lead to an awful lot of problems unless things are picked-up on and explained at length.
Sadly, some people are quick to take umbrage and then a flippant remark, or something tongue-in-cheek can wreck an otherwise sensible exchange.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top