Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 03:49 PM

Re: EU plant registration

And I thought we were a bit strange down under - but you guys take the cake.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
This registration problem is rearing its' ugly head again!
quote from a gardening magazine ... The BIZARRE EU plan that could see many gardeners favourite plants banned, is back on the cards - just days after Brussels voted to give it the boot!
77,000 cultivars in the UK must be registered - at £500 a variety.

They want improved wording to the text - The charity Plant Heritage fears that MEPs and garden industry campaigners won't be able to influence a second hearing.

I feel quite frustrated, I have no idea how to help - apart from writing to MEPs.
Will we end up with 'underground' plant nurseries, or a black market?

Plants deemed as invasive such as rhododendrons could be dug up by authorities given power to come into your garden
One other small point, if you happen to cross say, two sweet peas or fuchsia you can't give anyone the cross you've developed. Unless you pay out £500 or more!
We are also going to lose some very old tomato varieties (they don't sell enough to make registering worthwhile) .. I wonder if we should all buy some? Latest update - sales are up by 40%
On the plus side shoppers are stocking up on seeds before this crazy new dictate from Brussels.

I feel better for getting that off my chest
You should post this in the Farage thread.

Its basicly unelected civil servants running amuck
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Abby ->
Julie
you seem to have two different value system ??? That is ok to apply as it suits.

I saw some of your replies under multiculturism - they seem to be at odds with this reply.

Surely what applies to one must apply to all.
Really don't see invasive plants as the same as people so I am not sure why that is odd..

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top