Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Re: Communication

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
It is scientifically proven that women are superior communicators than men are (but I can't remember why now ).
They can certainly talk, its listening that seems to elude them.

Slinks off to hide in the corner.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
It is scientifically proven that women are superior communicators than men are (but I can't remember why now ).

Simple Karen darlin' you do it more often and for longer than us 'blokes'.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Communication was never my strong point and I think that it's because I prefer to keep a low profile.

That's because I was, and still am a bit of a shy person and do not like to draw attention to myself.

However, now that I am profoundly deaf, communication has taken on an entirely different meaning for me but I still can't shake off my preference to a low profile not matter how hard I try.

The odd thing is that I can communicate well in writing, or at least I do try very hard to do so.

It's one of THE reasons that I like forums because I can put across my point of view but I have realised that wording is all-important when you go online and you can easily "say" something that is misunderstood so I try to be as careful as I can but obviously that doesn't always work.

In the working environment communication is often poor because it seems to rely on word-of-mouth or gossip amongst employees; it's almost a foregone conclusion by management that all communications to one employee or a group of employees are always passed on in this manner but it's actually a fallacy.

I once saw a BBC course advertised internally by our Personnel Department and I thought back then it seemed a rather silly subject for a course but looking back, I wish now that I'd gone for it because I'm really quite bad with verbal communication and I suspect that poor verbal communication skills are quite common. stevmk2
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
They can certainly talk, its listening that seems to elude them.

Slinks off to hide in the corner.
I see you
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Simple Karen darlin' you do it more often and for longer than us 'blokes'.
Apparently not Uncle Joe:

' While men tend to chat more, it's women who have the gift of the gab and communicate better.

Researchers from the University of Manchester found that men speak more words than women over the course of a day, but due to their weaker command of language in social situations, they repeat the same words and pay dubious compliments.'

http://www.totallyliving.co.uk/famil...unicate-better

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 03:15 PM

Ive never been good at communication, as a child found it better to keep out of sight and out of mind. A learned state i carried into adulthood, and it has had consequences.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 07:50 PM

I think that written communication is so much harder than 'face to face', where you can read the reaction to what you've said.

I know that sometimes, I'll type out a reply on a forum, read it through and think 'no, that could be taken the wrong way' which leads me to delete what I've written. Usually, I'm ok though .

Gwyn
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Thats true - best to re-read before submitting .....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by AliceB ->
I think that written communication is so much harder than 'face to face', where you can read the reaction to what you've said.
I know that sometimes, I'll type out a reply on a forum, read it through and think 'no, that could be taken the wrong way' which leads me to delete what I've written. Usually, I'm ok though .Gwyn
I do that too Alice but the problem can be that what you feel is inoffensive someone else feels IS offensive and, in extreme cases, believe you are 'getting at them'!!

I have two members that I block on this forum.

One because I know who he is and I know he'll do almost anything to annoy me and he's on so many forums under different guises; most of which I know now.

The other is because he seems hell-bent on ridiculing everything I post, regardless of how carefully I've thought it out so, as far as I'm concerned, he's simply not worth the effort!

He may in fact be the same person as the first one I've mentioned as his tactics are identical.

This isn't something that I like to do - blocking others - but sometimes it's the only way to cut-off their 'feed' or 'oxygen supply'. stevmk2
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 07:48 PM

F*** aye. I rocks at communicating all types of s***, though I do tend to swear a lot whilst doing so - you probably haven't noticed ...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top