Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 11:59 AM

Re: ~~~~~The Happy Train~~~~

Make room for one more inside folks yeah I know what you mean about losing dear ones Joan, . . I look around and miss so many faces I once knew, . . my lifelong buddie Davie who died 2 years ago from cancer, then a lot of workmates that have gone, . . I'm so lucky I'm still around and reasonably fit.

On a lighter note I'm glad of having the gang, they keep me fit and they're such a joy to have around, . . roll on summer when we can get out and about in this wonderful land of ours.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 12:59 PM

I recently heard that two old friends had died years and I didn't know. I had been very close to both at different times in my life. One was a school friend and the other was a 'young mum' who would share baby sitting and maternity clothes. We just lost touch over the years. The startling thing is that until I was told they were dead to me they were still very much alive and often in my thoughts. I still find it difficult to get my head around the fact that they are not still out there somewhere happily getting on with their lives just like me.

I think the shock of your own peer group dying makes you feel very vulnerable. I know that when I heard that my ex-husband had died it hit me hard that he hadn't bothered to look after himself and survive for his son.

I too am glad to be part of the gang and sometimes make you smile nero. I have a dear friend in Australia who I met on a internet board such as this. He has prostate cancer but at 81 years old refuses to lay down every day is special to him and he constantly makes me smile and think about the good things.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 01:35 PM

What a wonderful thread Joan, I will be boarding your train, and I will be back with the five things I can be grateful for, I think I'm generally the optomistic type but OH might not agree she quite often refers to me as 'You grumpy old git' well that's the printable version anyway
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Cookiecate, you are so sweet to say that but when you are friends, I feel the apology is even more needed. I am so glad your friend has you to turn to and you may be the one that keeps him from giving up. Life has it ups and downs and sometimes the downs are pretty rough.

Denis (nero) so happy to see you here, you have such a caring heart I know to lose somewhat close to you must be so hard for you. When you spoke of how you miss your Mom and Dad over the holidays it brought tears to my eyes because I too have never been quite the same since I lost my parents, I loved them so.
Sometimes I think the meaning of life is answered in how we go on and continue to know what a beautiful gift our life is in spite of what has happened to us.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
What a wonderful thread Joan, I will be boarding your train, and I will be back with the five things I can be grateful for, I think I'm generally the optomistic type but OH might not agree she quite often refers to me as 'You grumpy old git' well that's the printable version anyway
Just saw your post Harvey, didn't mean to leave you out. After your pm this morning I thought we may not be seeing you as much but isn't it funny how fate works and just might keep grumpy old you here. (just kidding about grumpy though)
buzzie
USA

14-01-2010, 12:30 PM

I have to tell you about a show I watched many years ago and was so amazed and interested, I ordered the vhs video, yes it was back in the 50's.

There was a man by the name of Phil Donahue that had a talk show on that was quite interesting and was on every day. Well one day he had 8 or 9 centenarians on who had been studied to see what they had in common that could have been the reason they had lived so long and all out lived their children.

There was a darling little man that was 102 who still got up early every morning to maitre d' at a wonderful San Francisco restaurant. He was a delight and when they asked if he had foods or reasons for his long life, he said "yes I take a shot of
worcestershire sauce every morning" Not saying I would advise this but it must have worked for him.

Another was a woman over 100 but don't remember her exact age who was an artist and still doing beautiful work. Another woman who lived in her modest home doing good works and helping her neighbors when they needed it.

What they found out was and you could almost tell after listening to chat to each other they all had a great sense of humor and handled their loses very well. One woman did not fit the group since she was very serious but very strong and when you saw her throw this heavy disc (sp?) you could not believe it.
So a study is a study and you can take what you want from it but I will never forget how full of life this group was.....they weren't old because they didn't feel old.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
I`m a revoltingly happy bunny I' m afraid
I'm revolting too! . I've reached a happy pause after a few house repairs that included fixing back on a fascia board and gutter that was brought down to the ground by the weight of ice. At least we live in a bungalow, so no working at heights involved.

It's now time for lunch with sandwiches made with nice bread. I walked a mile or so in the ice and slush to get it yesterday and I'm going to eat lots of bread. Happy Happy! Be back after lunch and a snooze
buzzie
USA

14-01-2010, 02:25 PM

Good to have you on board Mart. I was posting on the Th. thread when all my lights went out with cable but they got it going in 45 min. which is pretty good for my cable company.

Sounds like you have been having quite a time there, we are finally getting a temperature that will melt some of this ungodly snow. 48 inches in some areas close here. Better not smile too soon, they say we're in for more of it next week not so much the white stuff but the cold temps.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2010, 02:55 PM

I believe what you say buzzie, some people just never get old mentally. I hope I am one of them. My daughter in law has a grandmother who is 113 she lives in Amsterdam and smokes one cigarette and drinks one glass of wine with her dinner every day but my daughter in law says that it is her manner that keeps her alive she is interested in everything and everybody loves her.
buzzie
USA

14-01-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
I believe what you say buzzie, some people just never get old mentally. I hope I am one of them. My daughter in law has a grandmother who is 113 she lives in Amsterdam and smokes one cigarette and drinks one glass of wine with her dinner every day but my daughter in law says that it is her manner that keeps her alive she is interested in everything and everybody loves her.
I agree, being open to new ideas and learning new things do help to keep you young. Look at us on the computer even though we are not experts we have got this far and the ability to exchange ideas with people as far away as you is a wonder that so many people my age refuse to do.

Hey, do you think we might make it to 100

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top