Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2014, 03:17 PM

Re: Dust storm from Africa.

I bet he was wondering 'How the hell did I get here !'
Whooosh !

I usually put my car in the garage overnight but last night I didn't. Went out this morning to find a small elephant sitting on the bonnet! Blimey that wind was strong!
QUOTE - EZ Rider
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2014, 10:50 PM

It's been awful here today. They said on the news that pollution levels are considered bad when they measure of 10. In the next sentence they said this area is already 8 and some parts of East Anglia are expected to reach 9.
All I know is, the sky has been like a grey mist all day and my eyes were so sore when I got back from town, I had to put drops in.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2014, 10:57 PM

I don't believe it I spent my Christmas vouchers in the garden center today and bought lots of plants intending to plant them and what do I get.. mucky rain and I can't breathe !
chris
hebrides.uk
chris is female  chris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2014, 10:40 AM

We also suffered up in the Outer Hebrides. Hubby washed the car the day before & went out the next morning to find it covered in dust. Blamed the folk next door for burning stuff that they shouldn't have been overnight! Then we read about all the dust on the Isles in the local news. We could just about sell sand to Arabia!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2014, 12:06 PM

Just wondered, could these sand storms bring bacteria with them?
chris
hebrides.uk
chris is female  chris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2014, 01:22 PM

I wonder? On a somber note. We have Swine Flu up here. Virus. Sadly one local lady died aged 65. Was very fit untill she caught this bug. Going to stay in the house unless we're desperately needing something.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Janela I would guess sand traveling that distance must be hot and dry so not the ideal host for bacteria unlike migrating birds who provide an ideal environment.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2014, 06:26 PM

You are probably right Meg,
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2014, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Scientists now believe that pathogenic microbes associated with dust clouds may pose a risk to the ecosystem and human health Janela.

It was previously thought that few microbes would survive the trip because of exposure to ultraviolet radiation, but
researchers now believe the dust clouds themselves block enough light to protect bacteria and other microbes during the five to seven day journey.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2014, 01:24 PM

So ! you can catch the Casablanca's without even going there ?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top