Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Re: Do you think this is true?

Honey you are right.

I would say "Do you like it" and if they said "Yes" then I in turn would say
"Well that's all you need to know. It doesn't matter what other people
think."
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
You're quite right Jem, it depends what kind of advice someone is seeking but if I was asked for my opinion on their dress or shoes and I didn't like them then I wouldn't say so, I'd be diplomatic in my reply without actually giving an honest opinion
We agree again !
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2014, 10:32 AM

I try to tell the truth at all times as I have said before on a forum but sometimes you just have to tell a white lie to spare some ones feelings.

A couple of months ago I was asked my opinion about a dress and hat someone wanted to wear to the races. She had brought in 3 dresses and 3 hats.

I gave my opinion of what I thought went best together, she agreed with me, someone else turned up she asked them the same question and they gave a different answer, she agreed with them. At that point I walked away. I have to say laughing
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
We agree again !

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->

Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2014, 12:57 PM

dont worry

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-06-2014, 01:09 PM

Ah - that's nice ......
Bluerose
London UK
Bluerose is female 

11-06-2014, 03:09 PM

Jem and others,

I agree whole heartedly with what you said referring to dealing with folks seeking advice in everyday life.

It’s sad, in my opinion, when people go seeking personal and spiritual development advice and their big Me gets in the way of their I Am.

Sometimes some people simply have to get out of their own way in order to grow personally and spiritually.

Today, I’ve taken to being the silent type when asked for advice. I just smile and say, “Just give it some thought. I’m sure you can work it out for yourself.”

Assuring people that they already have the answer that suits them best reinstalls their belief in themselves.

After all, unless we are seeking professional advice about serious matters, our advice to ourselves on any given subject is based on our many years of experience and perception.

A bit like dream interpretation - the best interpretation is your own interpretation as it will be based on your own experience and background.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-06-2014, 03:35 PM

Great post Rose
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2014, 08:55 PM

I can only come back with another question which is

Who is qualified to give "very constructive advice"?

The implication of "many people are unwilling to let go of their view of themselves" is that there is another more true/correct view - again if not the individual then who decides what that is and on what grounds do they decide?

I won't even start on "truth" - what is the "truth" in my experience truth varies from person to person/ group to group.

Originally Posted by Bluerose ->
The reference was people at a retreat looking for help advice and guidance but were unwilling to listen to the very constructive advice. Even some teacher monks hesitate to answer people truthfully because many people are unwilling to let go of their view of themselves.

So the question is, do you think this is true?

It’s a big responsibility to answer truthfully when asked a question. Very few people are brave enough to answer truthfully and few can stand to hear the truth.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top