Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 11:49 AM

Re: A & E proposal

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
It becomes a mental state, it is quite clearly a disease, as a recovering alcoholic of 16 years I should know.
I have also run a public house, and watched men with big work or home problems ruin their lives, they just couldn't help it I can tell you that.
It is very easy for folks from the outside to say they are just drunken bums, well they are not.
See Here
There for the grace of God go I.
I agree. It may not start out as disease - but it certainly becomes one, so I can sympathize with you, Wrinkly.

My parents were both heavy drinkers and it had different effects on both of them. Dad would become merry then suddenly fall asleep. He was never violent or objectionable.

Mother, on the hand, became maudlin. She blamed everyone but herself for all the things that had gone in her life. She became thoroughly nasty and violent. After my father died I watched my mother spiral further and further into into alcoholism and nothing anyone said or did could stop her. She said that she drank because she was depressed - unfortunately alcohol is itself a depressive so she was caught in a vicious circle. I took over doing her shopping and refused to buy booze - so she used to bribe her neighbours to buy it for her. She was in 'sheltered' accommodation but the warden only visited once a month unless anyone was ill and mother always managed to be reasonably sober when she called. Social Services used all kinds of emotional blackmail to try and make me take her to live with me - but - I was still working then and would not have trusted her in my house alone - plus the fact that she and I did not like each other at all. It would never have worked. Her GP was no help at all. The hospital staff did what they could whenever she fell over and broke her bones - wrist, femur, shoulder blade, collar bone - all in 12 months, but she would not see anyone from AA. The ones who helped me the most were a group called 'AL-ANON'. They are a support group for friends/relatives who are having to deal with an alcoholic. The last time I saw her alive she was sitting on her bed drinking neat gin and eating paracetamol tablets to cure her headache.

The ones who used to end up in our A&E on Friday/Saturday nights were not so much the long term alcoholic but the binge drinkers, hen/stag party goers who couldn't handle their drinks, and those who mixed drink and drugs with alarming results. They used to cause absolute havoc!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
- not all youngsters are alcoholics, unfortunately they are likely to become so if they carry on down that road ....
Very true !

I like a drink, usually wine with a meal - but - I have learned to treat it with respect (see my previous post).
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Very true !

I like a drink, usually wine with a meal - but - I have learned to treat it with respect (see my previous post).
I read your previous post and it is correct in that you say depression pays its part and drinking to excess, of course is likely to add to that.
The last paragraph I absolutely agree with too .......

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top