Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 05:34 PM

Re: Your first home together

Zsa zsa... All those packing and unpacking cases did you never say not again ,i would have stuck with the Caravan

Stevmk2 ,,you have a lot to be proud of a great achievement to pay off someone else debt and buy your home ,i hope it continues to be special to you and your wife.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 07:06 PM

Saved up and paid the deposit on a small new-build 3 bed semi, then set the wedding date and set about decorating the house. When we returned from honeymoon (Austria), our parents had moved all our gear in and it was ready to roll. I was 22 and Mrs. G was 19! We could borrow a mortgage of 2 1/2 times my salary and 1 times Mrs.G's.

We haven't moved very often, but each time we have, we've up-sized.

*** A little side story. While we were on honeymoon, one day we were followed by a large dog that howled a lot. Mrs.G said "I wonder if it's trying to tell us something?" When we got home Dad said there was some bad news. My uncle who had been at our wedding, died on the day of the dog incident.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 09:02 PM

you were both very young GW when you took on a Mortgage ,And what helpful parents to do that for you ...

The story about the dog howling a sign of death , im familiar with , my mum use to say it and she said it was always true , .
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 10:12 PM

Yes, I suppose we were rather young, but here we are 41 years later having always had our own house. Our biggest mortgage was only 10k ! That sounds like loose change now!
Maybe I've had more than my fair share of luck - or maybe I've always made good choices.
Sabrena
greater/manchester
Sabrena is female  Sabrena has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 10:16 PM

my 1st house was in the same street as my mum and my 6 sisters all lived in the same street2 up 2 down only outside toilet my husband did not want to move in because is mum had a bathroom the one we had did not so I moved in myself it was after all it was my first home when he realized I meant to stay he came round we stayed two years then move to a nice new house but my little 2 up 2 down to me was like a palace lots of happy memories
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 11:24 PM

Married Quarters RAF
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

21-07-2014, 11:28 PM

Hi Sabrena you must have been a close family all living in the same street like that ,I remember the outside toilets very well ,those cold winter nights, makes me shiver thinking about it.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

21-07-2014, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Married Quarters RAF
Im thinking perhaps you didn't stay long enough to make it a home.
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Tell us More please Alice , sounds like a good story to tell there ..
Yes please do Alice....

Sorry back to topic -I remember our house so well. Such an exciting and interesting time. A little anxiety too, wondering if we would be able to keep up the payments. I have warm thoughts when I think of that house.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

21-07-2014, 11:37 PM

Hi Venus,its a risk i never took buying my own house cause the thought of not keeping up with the payments,so i know how you must have felt .

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top