Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Re: NHS and Obesity

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
Great idea - I guess potential grandparents would have to help with the cost of their offspring's offspring? Pregnancy costs the NHS a damn fortune - let those that inflict this condition upon themselves pay for it.
Don't cha just love it when someone says "She went & got herself pregnant". Boy that must be a feat in itself!
Pappy
Scotland UK
Pappy is male  Pappy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 01:19 PM

I know any number of people who are overweight but who could run rings round a good few slim people - literally. I also know both slim and not so slim people who would love to change their body shapes, have tried very hard to do so and have failed. It's not just about diet, it's about a range of factors, some of which are more amenable to treatment than others.
Me? I wish there was a cure for judgementalism.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 01:36 PM

I know it's an extraordinary turn of phrase and still used in this day and age.

I think my point though is that if we are talking about people paying for their medical care when the "disease" is preventable. Pregnancy - although not a disease, is a preventable burden upon the NHS as much as obesity, sports injuries and thus technically should be paid for by those responsible, Mum or Dad - doesn't matter which one, but pay they should!

I am not sure where the NHS is going to draw the line as I would suggest that lifestyle factors and choices are far more influential in illness than genetics. Which is probably why the NHS has avoided playing judge and jury.

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Don't cha just love it when someone says "She went & got herself pregnant". Boy that must be a feat in itself!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Love it!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I'd rather be overweight/obese and a nice person, that a slim opinionated one.
Slim healthy people can be nice too.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
I think my point though is that if we are talking about people paying for their medical care when the "disease" is preventable. Pregnancy - although not a disease, is a preventable burden upon the NHS as much as obesity, sports injuries and thus technically should be paid for by those responsible, Mum or Dad - doesn't matter which one, but pay they should!
Immigrants arriving here and becoming pregnant will not only have their hospital care paid for but will probably be housed and cared for. Their babies will be entitled to British Passports and the mothers have right of residency. Lots of benefits to this country!!!
Wouldn't it be best to sort that out first??

..............Perhaps we could motivate all the fatties to go on a protest march!!!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Slim healthy people can be nice too.
Of course they can. That's the difference with me - I don't like to come on to preach about the hindrance to the NHS about the obese. Some people really think you're a second class citizen if you're overweight.

What do you say to the likes of a Rambler, who has spent many years walking, ending up with bad knees and need a replacement? Do you condemn them for using the government's money to have a knee replacement, when they were obviously being "healthy"?

It's just ridiculous to single out overweight people.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Given that immigrants contribute far more to the country than they take out then I am not sure your suggestion carries much weight (forgive the pun).

I am fairly certain the NHS could have survived without the input of immigrants at all levels of staffing.

QUOTE=Lindyloo;518054]Immigrants arriving here and becoming pregnant will not only have their hospital care paid for but will probably be housed and cared for. Their babies will be entitled to British Passports and the mothers have right of residency. Lots of benefits to this country!!!
Wouldn't it be best to sort that out first??

..............Perhaps we could motivate all the fatties to go on a protest march!!! [/QUOTE]
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 07:52 PM

NHS hospitals are full of immigrants. They deserve treatment like the rest of us. Only narrow minded people think that they don't deserve it. Should we just let them fester and rot in their pain, or shove them back to the country where they came from? Of course not - unless you're so far up your own backside that you don't have any compassion.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 08:17 PM

QUOTE=Lindyloo;518054]
..............Perhaps we could motivate all the fatties to go on a protest march!!! [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Owwwwch!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top