Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Re: Slow Cookers

All this talk of slow cooking ... just had to trot up to the farm shop ! Now I have a gallon of beef stew and half a gallon of winter veg soup simmering nicely. Will have to rearrange stuff in the freezer to make room for it all.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 03:36 AM

I've had a slow cooker since the 80s when a Tower slow cooker was bought for me as a present. I've had three since then, and haven't been without one since, but I recently swapped my 6Ltr one for a 2.5Ltr cooker which is ideal for one or two people.

Yes, it is much cheaper to use than cooking slowly in a gas or electric oven, but it does take longer, but the plus side is that you can't over-cook meat in a slow cooker, so you have to plan ahead.

For example, if you want a small leg of lamb for your evening meal at say 6 p.m. then stick it in the slow cooker at mid-day, and by then it will be cooked perfectly. Put a little water in with it at the start (it doesn't get sloopy but adds to the natural juices giving more gravy), add your herbs e.g. herb du provencale, oregano, a little mint, etc, salt, pepper, mayhap a dash of Worcester Sauce, and it will be absolutly gorgeous.

The juices will make a fantastic gravy.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 06:45 AM

WE have a slow cookpot and it gets used mainly if we are out all day. Great for doing a nice stew in, nothing like coming home and having a hot meal ready and waiting. as for size get one bigger than you need, you don't have to fill it up because it will take more food but handy if you need it
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 01:01 PM

I did a Coqu-au-vin in mine yesterday. It was lovely coming home to a nice hot meal after a hard days shopping
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
WE have a slow cookpot and it gets used mainly if we are out all day. Great for doing a nice stew in, nothing like coming home and having a hot meal ready and waiting. as for size get one bigger than you need, you don't have to fill it up because it will take more food but handy if you need it
I get the same results with the timer on the oven and using an ancient earthenware casserole dish which has served me well for 40 years. Having the oven on also warms the kitchen keeping my dog warm so I can turn off the heating while I am out

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top