Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 10:51 PM

Re: Mental Health.

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Not always Alan, it sometimes just happens for no reason, besides that, no matter how people become ill we should surely show compassion, we can all make mistakes. But, having said that, I tend to have less sympathy for those who are entirely self-obsessed and self-indulgent.
Take a look at my original post Twizard. I am not condemning people who cause their own mental problems, I'm simply asking is it self-induced. Just as people who over-eat and take no exercise become obese. not condemning, just asking.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 11:01 PM

I think you should say, "Are some conditions self induced?" some are certainly not. Even eating disorders can be brought on by bullying and other out-side influences.

Sorry, I don't normally disagree with you Alan, but you might as well say dementia can be self induced!

Some problems can be self induced, yes, but I believe most people would not choose to inflict them on themselves.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
s, I'm simply asking is it self-induced. Just as people who over-eat and take no exercise become obese. not condemning, just asking.
My answer to that is No it is not self induced,
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 11:52 PM

Take a look at my original post Twizard. I am not condemning people who cause their own mental problems, I'm simply asking is it self-induced. Just as people who over-eat and take no exercise become obese. not condemning, just asking.
Overeating can have very little to do with food or self-indulgence, food can be used as a substitute for things missing from a person's life. Eating can also be a displacement activity. The cause of the initial problem is often beyond the persons control.
I worked with a girl who was very overweight. She had a medical condition that meant she could never have children and this affected her deeply. I think for her food was a substitute for children.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
I do think a lot of people prattle on about Mental Health when they are know damn all about the subject but hey to some folk they have nowt else to do as they live out their latter years and like MM I have a young close family member who suffers from what is best described as "mental handcuffs".
I have 'metal handcuffs' because I have a degree of OCD . There are situations I battle hard to try to overcome. They are nothing to do with my 'choice of lifestyle' and my 'attitude to life' .
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 12:24 AM

Exactly that Meg so many willing to condemn but compared to physical illnesses and disease experts and scientists know very little about the brain and the causes and more importantly potential cures for many of the various mental health problems and diseases.
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

05-12-2014, 12:27 AM

Yes, you can choose to indulge in drugs or booze, and go overboard. I'm no saint, I did my share. It was pure escapism. It wasn't very smart, I know, but one day I decided enough is enough. I decided to face my demons the best I could. I still struggle with depression; the love and support of caring people have made a world of difference. My heart goes out to the poor souls that don't have a support network. We live in a hard world; I try to count my blessings. " I used to feel bad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet."
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 06:25 AM

I think many of you are misinterpreting my post. I didn't ask the question "Are all mental health problems caused by choice of lifestyle" but I did ask "Can choice of lifestyle bring about mental health problems".....not the same thing at all.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I think you should say, "Are some conditions self induced?" some are certainly not. Even eating disorders can be brought on by bullying and other out-side influences.

Sorry, I don't normally disagree with you Alan, but you might as well say dementia can be self induced!

Some problems can be self induced, yes, but I believe most people would not choose to inflict them on themselves.
This.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 07:39 AM

I think many of you are misinterpreting my post. I didn't ask the question "Are all mental health problems caused by choice of lifestyle" but I did ask "Can choice of lifestyle bring about mental health problems".....not the same thing at all.

Smoking hash can make you paranoid. Alcohol can result in Korsakoff's, so yes, your lifestyle can cause mental health problems. The main culprit is life events. You can be scarred for life. Many people who have been abused in childhood can go on to suffer breakdowns and depression in later life. Winston Churchill called depression " the black dog", always with you, no release. How true that is

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top