Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 09:11 PM

Re: Light Bulbs !

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
They have started messing about with vacuum cleaners now, Jem, they think they will save energy by cutting the power down, they don't seem to realize that with less power they will have to be on longer to do the same job. thus no energy saved.
It would make you laugh if it wasn't so serious Jimmy.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:02 AM

Not just hoovers either,, high powered hair dryers and kettles are next for the chop!

Soon the old saying about a watched pot never boiling will be true!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 09:59 AM

You can get decent old fashioned bulbs on ebay and amazon, we did try the new low energy ones but I can't embroider with them and hubby can't see to rug work or clock work with them so we went back to the old ones.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 10:59 AM

I can't believe that people prefer the inefficient incandescent bulbs to the low wattage ones. They even come in a wide range of colour temperatures so you can get one to suit any situation. If they are not bright enough get a more powerful one. How hard is that?

The packets have the equivalent incandescent wattage on them (or at least they do here). Incandescent ones were banned in NSW years ago (2009 I think)
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
ST some of the small local hardware shops still seem to have stocks of the old bulbs available.
Yes we can still get them in our village shop.....but for how long?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 01:12 PM

After reading this thread yesterday I bought some while I was out shopping earlier - while I still can.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I can't believe that people prefer the inefficient incandescent bulbs to the low wattage ones. They even come in a wide range of colour temperatures so you can get one to suit any situation. If they are not bright enough get a more powerful one. How hard is that?

The packets have the equivalent incandescent wattage on them (or at least they do here). Incandescent ones were banned in NSW years ago (2009 I think)

You've not convinced me Bruce !! Anyway, I've got cupboards full of them now, so need to be used up.
ZX81
Alresford and beond
ZX81 is male 

21-01-2015, 01:41 PM

In my C.A.B. they had 2 very large boxes delivered for OAPs to have free this was the first energy saving ones must of been a couple of thousand of them, after a year of having them I was told to dispose of them as no one wonted them.
They did not go to waist, I did my house and any one I new plus all the staff, over 100 of us.
This was many years ago, I am now changing them slowly for the new LEDs at over £5 each but a better light.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Have you tried disposing of a broken one ? have to drive several miles at right time of day to do it here. Old ones you can just chuck in the bin.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2015, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Have you tried disposing of a broken one ? have to drive several miles at right time of day to do it here. Old ones you can just chuck in the bin.
That's where mine go, straight in the bin. easy as!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top