Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 03:04 PM

Re: Big Towns & Cities

I was born and brought up in the city of Leeds and although I left some 40 years ago I like to go back, mainly for the shops. I love the place, its very different from when I lived there but partly for the better, its interesting to see all the different nationalities together in their traditional dress and I can't say I've ever felt threatened. It could be a different place at night of course.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I like going to the city. Can't say I've noticed any decline.
Me too....ours is a lovely historic city, always a pleasant experience.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 03:36 PM

Had my worst experience of a city in Lincoln, slipped on my behind right in front of Cyril Smith - very sweaty man BTW and managed to break my wrist.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Living and growing up in a place like London hardens you up to this. I have people saying to me, should you travel on the underground late at night (if going out for example) but I reply, well, I've done it all my life and don't feel threatened or unsafe, but can understand it when others are unsure.

But yes, I can understand when once lovely places have deteriorated. And sadly it's all down to the human race!
The human race! Spot on Jazzi....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Had my worst experience of a city in Lincoln, slipped on my behind right in front of Cyril Smith - very sweaty man BTW and managed to break my wrist.

Was there not a diversion sign showing another way around him
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 09:14 PM

I've spent the day with some good Friends who are chess players,and They were telling Me about a game in Glasgow which went on until the early hours of a Saturday Morn'..They came out to get Their cars which were parked just off Sauchiehall St in Glasgow,and were dumbfounded to see that area was full of drug-users/dealers/drunks,and not a Policeman in sight..These big macho Men were quite scared at the sites before Them...jeeeze...what a difference between night and day in the City...scary!!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 09:26 PM

Bedford??-My old school is now a shopping centre
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Was there not a diversion sign showing another way around him
Should have been really and if I knew then what we know today about him I may have tried to wipe him out with me
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't remember all these undesirables hanging about when I was younger - or is it that we feel more vulnerable as we get older. Or there again, maybe its just me being silly.
No Mups, please don't start thinking that. The fact is that due to the terible lack of discipline both in the home and in our schools we have been churning out millions of people who have no idea how to behave in public, added to which the civil rights lawyers have been making a mint out of telling all these uneducated aggressive vermin that they have 'rights' which of course they do not but they think they do and they behave just as they like, sadly because these lawyers are always willing to make an extra buck by lieing and misrepresenting them in court they now think they are God, well they are almost untouchable because the Police are now reluctant to intervene before any physical action so swearing and shouting is just 'normal' these days.

If I have to go into my nearest big town I do so early in the morning so I am standing outside the bank or shop as soon as they open I do what I need to do and I get out quick before the dregs of society are awake
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 11:27 PM

I go into the centre of town quite a lot, seldom in the night time though, big changes since I was young and working there but that's to be expected.
I think (and this is only my opinion) we’re all getting old and a bit more nervous , we had more confidence when we were younger and didn’t give it too much thought, young folks were always noisy when in groups. I’m reminded of Max Bygraves singing “Things aint what they used to be” and that was back in the 50’s.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top