Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 09:21 AM

Re: Expats

On holidays over the years we often met British people living permanently in the country, sometimes for many years but quite often they used the word "home" in reference to the UK.

I had plans originally to go and live in Spain and my wife and I had amassed a lot of information and we had friends in Spain and one of the things we agreed on was that once we'd moved, Spain would be home from then on or it simply wouldn't work.

We had neighbours three doors away who packed up and went to live in Portugal.

We saw them twice over the years and each time they kept saying things like "nice to be home" and now they are back having sold their house there at a substantial loss and now live in a tiny flat.

I think that retaining your UK vote may promote that feeling of the UK being home rather than the country you live in. stevmk2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 10:11 AM

I wouldn't get too excited about it because it only applies to people who have only been out of the country less than 15 years. I couldn't vote if I wanted to.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree with that Cass, temporarily away then they should be able to vote but leave permanently then stop meddling and concentrate on your adopted country now.
Hi Julie, but what is 'temporarily' six months, a year, three years.

In my case I was never a resident abroad, I never had an ID card or a residence or work permit yet I spent 9 or 10 months every year in Czechland from 2003 to 2014

As it happens I never voted for all that time either. Now I am living 11 months of the year in England so I guess I am going to vote.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top