Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Re: A Hug.

I can't remember ever having any hugs as a child so I was determined that was going to change when I had my own family. I always get lovely hugs from my children still and special hugs from my grandchildren.

Outside of family, I have given hugs to two neighbours. The first one had just lost her son to a heart attack and had tears in her eyes when she was telling me about it. The second time was six weeks ago when my next door neighbour, 20 years my junior, called at the door to say goodbye but was suddenly overcome and the tears rolled down her cheeks.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 02:58 PM

I will extend a warm handshake to you Nom, but hugs are only for family. I don't do the hugs ever since my first cousin Margaret nearly squeezed me to death when I won a hamper of goodies in the school raffle, I was only a slip of a thing and she was big, really big, good job the caretaker had a bottle of oxygen in his storeroom otherwise I was a goner, yes big Maggie put an end to my hugging' days once and for all.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=Mags;646711]I can't remember ever having any hugs as a child so I was determined that was going to change when I had my own family. I always get lovely hugs from my children still and special hugs from my grandchildren.

Outside of family, I have given hugs to two neighbours. The first one had just lost her son to a heart attack and had tears in her eyes when she was telling me about it. The second time was six weeks ago when my next door neighbour, 20 years my junior, called at the door to say goodbye but was suddenly overcome and the tears rolled down her cheeks.[/QUOTE]

Mags that just gave me a huge lump in my throat!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 04:01 PM

Im glad to see some would hug someone in need say after an accident, and waiting for help,i would do that even if i did not know them. The hugs i was given as a child were quite bizarre and few. A friends wife was a serial hugger with me, she knew about certain things that had happened to me, i always felt uncomfortable receiving one, but understood why she did it.

I would never have told her to stop, so it was just grin and bear it, as most of my friends are girt big blokes, i would never let them get that close.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with you Patsy.
Some people shy away from human contact and I find that sad sometimes.
A 'professional' would probably offer some clever, deep seated reason like no affection is childhood, or deep hurt from broken relationships, or whatever.
To me, to feel able to give or receive affection, whether it be a hug or a hand squeeze, is both normal and natural, and can be very comforting in appropriate circumstances.

I also agree with your last part Meg, and I am sending one to Nom as well.
I totally agree with the bit in bold, Mups. But I think some of us are just more tactile than others. My mother was the opposite, not a huggy person at all and not one to show any sign of affection really, but I'm quite the opposite.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I totally agree with the bit in bold, Mups. But I think some of us are just more tactile than others. My mother was the opposite, not a huggy person at all and not one to show any sign of affection really, but I'm quite the opposite.

Know what you mean Ania, my Mum was not a natural hugger either. Funnily enough though, she used to heap affection on her dog, Dad would often moan about it!
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
All I can say is I cherish a hug
They are very healing .......
Aw here you are x
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 05:37 PM

Not even a hug, but i remember at a very low time in my life when someone put their hand on my shoulder and I felt choked by it. Just their touch meant so much. Hence the reason why I am now happy to hug anyone who I think would like it, or needs it.

There's nothing nicer than hugging into my three sons chests as that's where my arms reach, my head also on their chest. You can't beat it. They're all six feet or over so that's where I reach
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

08-05-2015, 05:48 PM

Even carrots like a hug

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 08:09 PM

Lovely, Myra. Hope they realise they'll have to get married now though.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top