Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 07:54 AM

Re: The long goodbye.

You may want to read this Carol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35090765
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 08:21 AM

I've just read it Malcolm. I found no help or comfort in it at all - unless it was to do my crying in the shower!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I've just read it Malcolm. I found no help or comfort in it at all - unless it was to do my crying in the shower!
Sorry Carol....just trying to help

carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Sorry Carol....just trying to help
I'm sorry but it didn't help Malcolm. I think you'll have to hone up on your people skills a bit more...

I see many cases like this and worse on the Alzheimers support site that I'm a member of. It makes depressing reading. They speak of coping with incontinence and other problems. For the time being I've stopped reading these posts as I see no point in depressing myself even further.

I'm doing my upmost to give Tony some happy times and keep him stress free. Hopefully his medication will give him a few more good years.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

22-12-2015, 09:59 AM

Good news from the DVLA - he's allowed to keep his licence but has to change it for a 'short' one. He has to be reviewed every year by a doctor & a report sent to the DVLA. That's a big relief for him..

However - on the home front...

We nearly had a catastrophe last night. Tony reached out to take some chicken portions out of the oven with his bare hands.

I caught him in time but it's shocked me at how bad he's getting!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 10:08 AM

For once I'm lost for words Carol - can only hope you have good friends and family around you and the tablets will be beneficial for him xx
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

22-12-2015, 10:44 AM

I realise I need to watch him more closely.
He was cooking this particular meal a few months ago - no problem at all!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 01:21 PM

I realise I need to watch him more closely.
He was cooking this particular meal a few months ago - no problem at all!
I have such sympathy because you are, in effect, looking after a grown man who needs the care of a small child, and that is so difficult. I wish you good luck and hope that you, and he, will be able to relax sometime over the holiday period.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 01:35 PM

Good news from the DVLA - he's allowed to keep his licence but has to change it for a 'short' one. He has to be reviewed every year by a doctor & a report sent to the DVLA. That's a big relief for him..

However - on the home front...

We nearly had a catastrophe last night. Tony reached out to take some chicken portions out of the oven with his bare hands.

I caught him in time but it's shocked me at how bad he's getting!
Carol my stepmother was caught putting the electric kettle on the gas stove and hanging dirty washing on the line (which she had taken out of the washing machine but had forgotten to wash).
It can be hard work keeping an eye on them.

We found she would sit for hours with a jigsaw puzzle studying the pieces and it kept her occupied and away from other things.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 11:20 PM

Im not sure if this may offer a few tips with dealing with Christmas Carol..
http://files.ctctcdn.com/53c9860b201...m_medium=email

Its from the site of Teepa Snow who offers some great advice in dealing with dementia.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top