Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
BDR44
Gwynedd North Wales
BDR44 is male  BDR44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 08:28 AM

Re: Dickensian

Dickens was one of our greatest writers. He is still read in Russia. Sadly these days the quick read novel rules the day and, as I found teaching, more and more young people can no longer sustain reading a long novel. I had to read Scott's Heart of Midlothian for A Level Today they read Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. But they can text chat, snap chat better than I do. This Christmas I've been re-reading Anna Kerenina while the grandchildren fiddle with their mobile phones and look on me as some kind of museum piece able to win Pub Quizzes.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 09:30 AM

I love Dickens, he brings to life the past. Love Edgar Allen Poe, H.G.Wells, Agatha Christie too.
Simpler times, when people had to think for themselves.
These days there's no mystery, it's all DNA and CCTV and searching websites.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
Maybe I'm odd but I've never thought of Dickens' novels as drivel. I've read them all at one time or another and taught them occasionally and seen most of the filmed versions and although his language is a bit archaic now, the characters and social messages are still relevant. When it gets here we'll watch it and make our own judgement I guess.
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
don't get me wrong jw I love Dickens, it's this version I hated.
Thats just it, it wasn't an adaptation of a Dickens novel or 'version' of anything was it , it was just characters stolen from Dickens and weaved together into ludicrous stories .

I admire a lot of the Dickens novels, they helped to contribute to social reform. It is sacrilege to me to steal Dickensian characters and to use them in this way.
Far better to have an adaptation of a Dickens novel.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 10:20 AM

I rather like the mix of characters, I often think,"What if this happened " and wonder what went on before and after the main story. I wanted to know why Miss Haversham was jilted, for instance. The writers could have used new and different characters but, having ones that we know makes it more intriguing for me.
Murdoch Mysteries is one of my favourite series and often in that there are famous characters, such as Conan Doyle, Tesla, Eddison, Jack the Ripper etc. It's fiction after all, anything goes!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2015, 03:22 PM

We saw the first one and like Tessa I was smiling at the Miss Haversham storyline. The 'what if ' part is intriguing. I now have it on series link to record.

Its better than the dirge of talent(less) shows and reality Tv we have normally.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2016, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I had to read Dickens at school, about 50 years ago
I thought it was drivel then, and still do. I
I wasn't saying the TV show was drivel but referring to this post from another member. I can understand people not liking it but not declaring it drivel just because they didn't like it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2016, 06:53 AM

I used to enjoy Dickens very much when I was in my teens and read them all; over the years I have reread some of them. I still have a rather old set of all his novels in my bookshelf. You have to remember they were originally published as serials in a magazine hence the constant climaxes in the novels (think Saturday morning flicks).

Don't have any particular objection to updating famous novels, I enjoyed "Death Comes to Pemberley" and "Lost in Austen" even "10 Things I Hate about You".

I will download a couple of episodes to see if they suit my taste before I bother to get the rest.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

31-01-2016, 09:03 PM

I'm really enjoying this series, much more than I thought. Whoever writes it is very good.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'm really enjoying this series, much more than I thought. Whoever writes it is very good.
We weren't sure at first - love the series especially Pauline Collins - she's great
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

31-01-2016, 09:14 PM

Oh she is! I didn't really like her much before but she's excellent in this!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top