Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 09:03 AM

Re: Do Older People Have Their Own Lingo?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I know young people have their own lingo like 'cool' 'amazing' etc
but what about our age group? Do you think we have own 'lingo'?
Most certainly we do. It's called .... "English".
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 09:25 AM

When living with my very Lancachire husband his favourite sayings about folk he did not like, or got on his nerves were:

He's like a fart in a bottle

He's like my arse,, best out of site.

Are you talking to me , Or chewing a brick?.

Do you want a bunch of fives?

I did tell my children not to repeat any of them.
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 09:52 AM

It's 'Fart in a colander' where we live.
What about 'fat as a tunky pig' ? - proper west midlands that one.
A kick up the jacksy.
Spondoolicks
A bit tiddly.
Up the wooden hills.

Speaking of old people language, though, in our house it's 'Where's the thingy gone for the whatsit ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
When living with my very Lancachire husband his favourite sayings about folk he did not like, or got on his nerves were:

He's like a fart in a bottle

He's like my arse,, best out of site.

Are you talking to me , Or chewing a brick?.
Do you want a bunch of fives?

I did tell my children not to repeat any of them.
BIB - my favourite

I love going courting - its a lovely expression
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
'It looks black over Bill's mother's'.
I remember that one as a child and once asked, 'Where does Bill's mother live?'
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 10:44 AM

I never use them myself, but I always remember two wonderful insults used by a geography teacher of mine during the early 60's. Although we were the 'top' class, we were also the naughtiest and the noisiest. I remember him bursting into our classroom when we were being particularly rowdy and driving our poor young substitute teacher to despair, waving a cutlass around his head (most teachers seemed to have "props" in those days) and roundly condemning us as 'Graceless mountebanks' and 'Whited sepulchres.'

Unfortunately they don't make teachers like that any more.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I know young people have their own lingo like 'cool' 'amazing' etc but what about our age group? Do you think we have own 'lingo' 'buzzwords'? Or should we all be 'hip' and speak like the youngsters?!!
These are some that I associate with our age group and have never heard a young person use them (with exception of 'Sir')

Sterling (as in someone doing a good job)
Spiffing!
Splendid!
By George!
Men seem to call other men.....'Sir'
Most of us in the Steampunk Community still use all these words and many more "Victorian" type words.
Huzzah! What what? Good show!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I never use them myself, but I always remember two wonderful insults used by a geography teacher of mine during the early 60's. Although we were the 'top' class, we were also the naughtiest and the noisiest. I remember him bursting into our classroom when we were being particularly rowdy and driving our poor young substitute teacher to despair, waving a cutlass around his head (most teachers seemed to have "props" in those days) and roundly condemning us as 'Graceless mountebanks' and 'Whited sepulchres.'

That's so fab !
You're right, we had characters back then - I can picture him well
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 10:57 AM

They listen to the Wireless and have problems down there
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->

Just as well

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top