Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 03:00 PM

Re: Boaty McBoatface

A ridiculous name. But, I do think it would have given the ship World-wide recognition.

Maybe they should assign the name to Boris Johnson now he is no longer mayor.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
JBR
That was the whole point
I think the moment we stop laughing at ourselves is the moment we stop being British!

It's a sign of a well developed intellect
I agree. Being able to laugh at oneself is a sign of self-confidence. Most British people are capable of doing that, although there are some elements of society who seem unable to.

I suppose there are different types of humour. Some things that I find humorous, others appear find offensive.

In this instance, whilst I can laugh at the suggested name for this ship, I cannot see anything funny in actually giving it the name officially. A parallel might be to re-name Buckingham Palace 'Fawlty Towers'. I can see an element of fun in that, but could you imagine a formal sign on the main gate inscribed with 'Fawlty Towers'?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Yes ive just read that they are naming the on board sub Boaty McBoatface, sometimes i can be very fond of humans.

Steady on old chap, can't have that soft side showing can we, tut tut.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
hi

to me, this is so wrong.

They asked, the public spoke, the powers that be took exception and over ruled.

It sums up everything that is wrong with this country, ruled by an elite who are convinced that they know better than us.
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2016, 04:47 PM

I really cannot understand why 'they' gave the public the opportunity to name the vessel when 'they' took no notice of the majority decision and typically over-rode the publics' choice anyway !! Load of crap innit !
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2016, 05:09 PM

I think I've wet me pants ! I keep crackin' up visualising "HMS Boaty McBoatface" floating serenely down the Thames dipping her ensign and taking a salute from The Duke Of Edinburgh who's trying to keep a straight face ! It's just a picture that drifted into me 'ead!

However, joking apart, I do think the name 'Sir David Attenborough' is very suitable for a Royal Navy Research Ship.
I am relieved that the RN picked a more suitable name in the end. We can show our sense of humour in other things can't we?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
I think I've wet me pants ! I keep crackin' up visualising "HMS Boaty McBoatface" floating serenely down the Thames dipping her ensign and taking a salute from The Duke Of Edinburgh who's trying to keep a straight face ! It's just a picture that drifted into me 'ead!

However, joking apart, I do think the name 'Sir David Attenborough' is very suitable for a Royal Navy Research Ship.
I am relieved that the RN picked a more suitable name in the end. We can show our sense of humour in other things can't we?
Hear hear.
GillyT
Nottingham, England

19-05-2016, 10:06 PM

By the way, I have asked Admin/Mods. to relocate this thread to a more suitable section like General Chat. I hope they do it, because it just looks totally out of place amongst all the games, doesn't it?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 11:53 AM

I am glad the Navy has shown some sense and named the vessel after David Attenborough, and not used that pathetically silly name!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-05-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I am glad the Navy has shown some sense and named the vessel after David Attenborough, and not used that pathetically silly name!
I agree. It is pathetically silly, but then an increasingly large number of Brits are silly these days. I see them performing their idiotic driving tricks every day, for example, and don't talk to me about those who want to vote to stay in the EU or to welcome immigrants willy nilly!

I'll no doubt be accused of being humourless by some others, just as I have in the past have accused some old ladies of both genders on here of the same!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top