Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 05:45 PM

Re: When does an adopted country become a home?

I too adopted my new home as my own. I dont see the point of moving away only to constantly whine that things were better somewhere else..

Embrace enjoy and learn. Embrace your new home , enjoy what it has to offer and learn the customs and (if applicable) the language..

The only other place I ever felt at home was /is Ireland the very first time I stepped off the plane in Dublin I felt something inside saying this is home..

Sadly I dont think that will ever be the case but at least I can go for holidays.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I think it's where you felt at home most, I didn't like the village I was brought up in, just outside Bristol, felt at home in South Africa, came back only felt at home a bit here in Somerset. Perhaps because I'm now in social housing.
Good attitude Apricot x
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Good attitude Apricot x
You've spelt Tessa wrong.....there's no 'c'

APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
You've spelt Tessa wrong.....there's no 'c'

Cor you"re on the ball tonight , not much gets by you .
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2016, 08:00 PM

The wife is Slovak - been here over 20 years. Came over when it was much more difficult and I remember us filling in reams of paperwork for her to be granted permanent leave to stay.
She considers herself British and Britain is her home. She never calls Slovakia her home, but does have fond childhood memories.
She even bleats, moans and bangs on about too much immigration to the UK...

As Tpin, I have several Indian friends whom I have a huge amount of time for. They vehemently see themselves as British and Britain as their home - lovely people.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2016, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Aye but You're not moving to another Country dear Boy..You'll still be in the Land of Your Birth.?
If you are moving to another country , then that becomes your home., you can still have attachments to the country you left , but it is no longer your home.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2016, 04:14 PM

We too think of Spain as home, Mr Clumsy has never been back to UK since we first left 20years or so ago. I haven't been back for 3 years now, when I do go it's only for a week and I'm always glad to get back here. I missed some aspects of life in Kenya when we first arrived, but now I have no desire to live anywhere else, this for us is home.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2016, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
We too think of Spain as home, Mr Clumsy has never been back to UK since we first left 20years or so ago. I haven't been back for 3 years now, when I do go it's only for a week and I'm always glad to get back here. I missed some aspects of life in Kenya when we first arrived, but now I have no desire to live anywhere else, this for us is home.
I realised Lanzarote was home when we went back to the UK at Christmas. I felt cold for the whole 10 days. On seeing Lanza from the sky I realised this was home. To wake up to sunshine every day is a bonus for us. Also I think because it is a holiday destination everyone has a smile on their face. Plus the Canarians are so laid back. Everything was rush, rush rush in the UK.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2016, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
I realised Lanzarote was home when we went back to the UK at Christmas. I felt cold for the whole 10 days. On seeing Lanza from the sky I realised this was home. To wake up to sunshine every day is a bonus for us. Also I think because it is a holiday destination everyone has a smile on their face. Plus the Canarians are so laid back. Everything was rush, rush rush in the UK.
It has to be said, people most definitely are more friendly and smile more here than in the UK. There are some grumps of course but not many. Mind you I was the grump yesterday, we had horrendous gale force winds, I could barely stand up when outside, but today the winds had gone. I hope they don't come back.
Goldielocks
Spain

20-04-2016, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
It has to be said, people most definitely are more friendly and smile more here than in the UK. There are some grumps of course but not many. Mind you I was the grump yesterday, we had horrendous gale force winds, I could barely stand up when outside, but today the winds had gone. I hope they don't come back.
we can get high winds at times too. Not so nice if there is a calima (dust storm). Pleased you are back to more normal conditions

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top